Entry Two

Entry two 4/12/1862

Dear Dairy,

It's been exactly one year since my brothers went off to fight in the war for the Confederacy, also my so called husband, and one year stuck inside this prison estate. I stop writing in my dairy and look outside the window staring at the rainbow colored l orchard and the sunset of lava 'Why did it have to be me?' I think to myself every single day, I never wanted to get married or wanted a war. My greatest fear is losing my brothers to this bloodshed I don't care if Charles dies, but my brothers I do. Ever since mother and father passed away from an illness my brothers and I stuck together no matter what. I close and lock my dairy putting it under my side of the bed and walk out of the white room and towards the balcony. I open the French doors and breathe in the honey-flower air, I gather up my quarter-sleeve, blood red, and lace gown and put my feet over the railings into a sturdy, thick vine that grows on the side of the house and climb down. Once I landed I run to the garden maze and enter it, after a lots of twist and turns I reach the middle and there it has a pond with ducks and a stone sitting area. I walk over to the duck pond and close my eyes and let the sun shine on me while I think of the past. Mother and father died six months after the deal was made and I got married three months after the deal and I have been living in the estate prison ever since. At first Charles was nice, but at the second month of our marriage everything went downhill. He and his father believes that man are superior to woman and that they should not work. I ask Charles once is it ok if I work and he yelled at for one whole minute telling me that it is not a woman's job to work. Also I found out that Melanie is afraid of her husband William who is also off to war cause if she does not listen to him she gets beaten, how I found this out is once Melanie and I were baking in the kitchen and William ask her to come upstairs that instance, she quickly finish up the batter she was working on and then went upstairs. After, a minute or so I heard a loud thud so I went up stair to see what it was and then I saw it, he beating Melanie It scared me so much that Charles might be like his father so I stay a distance from both of them. Charles and his father both believe in slavery, but I don't they are still human beings and should be treated with respect not only that, but the why they treat their slave is horrible they barely feed them and beat them even for the slightest of things. This place seems like a haven to some people, but to me it a hellhole I can't to the things I want like ride horses, speak my mind, be able to be myself not a perfect doll that they want me to be. I sometimes wish I could run away from here and be free from the rules of society. In this war I hope that the Union wins I hate slavery it's just wrong I got this opinion from my mother she taught me that all human are made equally and no less ,but my father believed in slavery and he pass that on to my brother. I wish I could do something to help with this war instead of just sitting here and thinking about it I want to free slaves or do something useful for once in my life. I stand up and brush my blood red gown and walk out of the maze garden and climb up the vines and hop over the railings and landing on the balcony. I walk inside and close the two French doors and go down the wooden stairs and to the marble kitchen, I open one of the midnight black cabinets and take out a light brown, blonde weaved basket and fill it up with cheese ,bread, slices of chicken, strawberries and one giant jug of water. After, I pack the basket, I grab the jug of water and walk out the oak wooden front-door and toward the almost broken farm. When I reach there I open it slightly to see if it is okay to enter, once I saw everything is clear I come inside and walk deeper inside the barn then I see them the slaves that live here laying on top of makeshift bed made out of hay. I go to the fourth stall and open it and I see my only friend in this prison sleeping on the floor. Sara was her name which was given by the Deacon ,but her real name is Kendis ,she says that her name means pure ,which is really cool she is one year older than me ,so she's 18. She has dark skin, black thick hair that is up to her waist and has hazel eyes. I quietly set the basket of food down and the jug of water for her and leave her to sleep. When I come out of the rusty barn I realized that it was night the stars shines brighter than the moon taking all of the attention away from it. I slowly walk back to the house as I stare at the night sky like mum mother and I used to do when I was young. When I reach the front door I slowly open it not wanting to wake up Melanie and walk to my bedroom that I used to share with Charles. I go and change into a grey night gown and tuck myself in with the grass green blanket thinking about how to escape this insane place.