Chapter 1: The SkyWing Palace

"Talons and teeth! Why can't this war just be settled already?" Cactus griped, crouched stealthily behind a boulder at the base of the mountain on which the SkyWing palace was perched.

Sometimes, Cactus' job as a spy for Blister's army wasn't the most invigorating, but by the three moons of Phyyria it was as dangerous as could be. That little detail didn't stop Cactus from obeying every command Queen Blister has given her as her personal spy and assassin. The SandWing's newest assignment was to find and steal the plan's for Burn's next attack, which was somewhere in the heart of one of the most heavily guarded palaces in Phyyria.

At least being raised in the bad part of the Sand Kingdom made Cactus good at what she did. As a dragonet, she was dependent on her skills as a sneak to get her each meal to survive. Luckily, all of Cactus's older, non-deformed, angry siblings weren't the brightest and didn't notice a missing lizard or snake.

Alright, Cactus, get your head in the game. Burn won't steal precious war information from herself. The SandWing shook her head out of the past and focused on her mission, creeping out from behind her hidden spot. She buried her IceWing-like, serrated claws into the cragged mountain.

Being very knowledgeable in the art of spying, Cactus knew that flying up to the mountain's peak would alert the SkyWings of her position, not like she could fly in the first place, even if she really wanted too, for dragons without wings have difficulty flying if they've got no wings to fly with.

Cactus continued climbing, quickening her pace while remaining close to silent. She stopped to hide in the shadows a few times to avoid being seen by patrolling SkyWings, eventually reaching the top.

Cactus marveled at the vast sandy pit she stood in at the mountain's peak. This must be Scarlett's fight-to-the-death arena I've heard so much about. The thin SandWing turned to peek over the edge of the arena. She was miles off the ground, one slip and she'd tumble to her death. Cactus tried not to envision her broken body sprawled on the rocks far below, gulping down her fear and turning to search for a way to enter the palace. She walked across the sands to the other edge of the arena, careful not to trip over or step on the charred and bloody clumps in the ground.

Disgusting... Cactus muttered in her mind. A true waste of life, and for what?! Amusement of a cruel and unforgiving queen who has no better way to spend her time than gorging herself and have other dragons do her nasty work like the selfish pig she is! Truly this is the most horrific things under the moons!!

Cactus barely had time to scope out an entrance of the palace before the alarm was raised.

Wings of Fire: A Lone Grain in the SandOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara