Chapter 4: The Plan in Action

The next morning came all too soon, and Cactus woke up to a blindingly bright SkyWing prodding at her with a sharp spear of ebony.

"Wake up!" He said, jabbing Cactus in the side, she rose to her feet and swiped at the SkyWing with her barb haphazardly. The dragon dodged and smacked her hard in the back of her head with the spear before going to wake up Nameless as well.

Cactus looked down at the arena, and all of the commotion. Dragons were rushing across the sands and sky to sit in a set of large, stone bleachers encircling the arena. It was a flurry of colors, from autumn leaves, to globs of dirt, to streaks of sand in the wind. Above, in a large, decorated balcony overlooking the ring, was Burn, overseeing the festivities for Scarlett's hatching day party, The big SandWing's eyes darted about the scene before her, scanning every last detail. Then, disapearing back into the palace, where more commotion was able to be heard.

Soon, the spectators settled into their seats, and queen Scarlett herself, along walked regally onto her balcony, smiling at her subjects. The dragons bowed and hissed with their utmost respect for the two queens.

"Good morning, SkyWing subjects, MudWing allies, and our distinguished SandWing guests!" Scarlett said with a smile.

"Now today is my hatching day! I have a thrilling treat for you all!" she grinned maliciously, Cactus shuddered in disgust at Scarlett's evil voice, like honey dripping from the comb, "My soldiers have so kindly captured my friend Burn's sister's favorite little sneak! Maybe Burn here will add her body to her collection of weirdlings! Well, that depends if she's as good at claw-to-claw combat as she is at trying to steal other people's valuable war plans!" Scarlett roared, flaring her jewel-encrusted wings to catch the sun. The dragons of all kinds in the stand roared with her and cheered, eager for bloodshed. Cactus felt her throat sink into her stomach as SkyWing guards flew towards her.

"Bring in the competitors!!!" Scarlett screeched into the sky.