Chapter 16: Journey Across the Sea

Soon, every Talon was ready for takeoff outside the cave in a V formation. Cactus was sitting on Nameless's back, as the dragons began their countdown.

"Ready!" Squelch barked. The formation was ready for flight.

"Three!" Einstein cheered.

"Two!" Kracken grinned, flexing his wings and talons.

"One." Solstice barely whispered.

"Now!" Corundum shouted. The groups took off in unison. Cactus noticed the form was virtually perfect, each Talon with their own designated spots. Corundum, with the strongest and biggest wings, took the front. This way, the group could fly longer without stopping as much.

How I wish I could fly like that! Cactus thought, her mind drifting away in the clouds and her heart matching the beat of the Talons' wings.

After a few hours of flying, Nameless was getting tired. Luckily Corundum barked something from the front of the formation, and the Talons landed on the sandy beaches of SeaWing territory.

"What now, chief?" Kraken asked Corundum

"We find the base where the SeaWings keep their plans for attack, and destroy it. Word is out they're planning to ambush the MudWings." She said, trailing her claw through the sand. Squelch looked hurt.

"Anyways" Corundum continued "We need to find their plans and destroy them. Before we're too late. Understood?"

"Yes!" The Talons replied

"Alright, first things first. Kraken, do you know where to find our target?" She pointed at the drawing of an island in the sand.

Kraken looked carefully at the doodle, giving it a few minor adjustments. "Yeah, this is Archive Island. Being a former SeaWing commander, I know where this is. If the Island's contents are destroyed, the ambush orders will never reach the army."

"Take us there." Corundum ordered.

Kraken nodded, spread his wings, and led the V-formation off out into the ocean.

Cactus peered over Nameless's shoulder down at the crystal-blue ocean below. Schools of fish, in a rainbow of colors, swam as fast as a dragon could fly. She saw a few hammer-head sharks, and flying fish leaped out of the waves around the Talons' formation. Cactus snapped at the fishes and took in all of the gorgeous kelp and coral just below the water's surface.

This is amazing! Why doesn't everyone look at the ocean like this? She saw the Talons gliding noiselessly over the sea, without so much as glancing at the things around them. Even Kraken, a dragon who lived in the ocean, had his eyes fixed on an island on the horizon.

They must be incredibly focused...