Chapter 20: One Left Behind

Everything faded into view. Cactus saw Squelch above her, his talons on her stomach. She was lying on the beach from earlier, and could still see Corundum's crude drawing of the island that just sank.

"Is everyone...a-alright?" She asked between coughing up the rest of the seawater.

Cactus took a look around. Kraken had dislocated his wing and arm. Squelch's wound on his neck had been reopened. Corundum was covered in many minor cuts and bruises. Solstice was still unconscious, and Einstein looked to be fine, excepting a burn that had melted the collar on his neck, he was pouring cold water over the unconscious IceWing.

"Man, carrying you across the ocean sure did a number on my wing. I don't know how Nameless does that." Kraken sighed, dragging his limp wing behind him.

"Hold on, I'm coming." Squelch walked over to Kraken, grabbing his wing, "Brace yourself."

Kraken held is breath and Squelch shoved the SeaWing's wing back into place.

"AAARGH!!" Kraken roared, whipped around, and bit Squelch. Who also roared, shaking the SeaWing from his arm. The two collapsed in the sand in pain.

"I think we'll wait until we get home to fix any more of Kraken's wounds." Corundum winced in pain as she chuckled.

"Guys..." Cactus muttered.

"Alright, who woke me up?" Solstice coughed and groaned, "Did we win?"

"Guys!..." Cactus barked, tears welling in her eyes.

"Yes, Cactus?" Corundum said.

"Nameless..."

"Oh..." Corundum said, the others all turned to see the SandWing break into tears. Squelch gave Cactus a hug in his big arms and rocked back and forth on his hind legs, consoling her.

The others joined in the hug, all were crying. Even Solstice, as icy as he was, got a little misty-eyed.

Cactus closed her eyes, and wished nothing had ever happened to the friend who had saved her life.

End