Mirrors

Look into the mirror.
What do you see?
Lay your hand on the glass. Your reflection mocks you.

What is your reflection? Is it you? How?

I've watched you grow. I've seen your expressions change. I've seen you watch yourself cry. I've seen blood fall from your injured wrists. You stare at me helplessly. I want to help you. I know your pain.

Lay your hand on the reflection. Our hands touch. It calms you. I see it in your eyes.

Dry your tears strong one. You feel weak but you are strong. I stare into your eyes and whisper, "I understand."

You cover your mouth not noticing these words out of your mouth. It's funny because they didn't. They came from me. Your reflection. Your other half.

Do you know when you walk away, I'm still there. I move from glass to glass. Anything that has enough transparency for me to show myself. I will peak and watch you. I want to give you strength and tell you it's okay. You don't hear me unless you really listen.

Many more years have passed with you. You still have only heard me call once. You try to forget it. Anytime I appear, you are reminded.

You went out on a date. I saw. I watched through a spoon. A bit blurry but I heard it all. You love this person don't you? I'm not sure. They have dishonest eyes. I worry.

Oh no. Those pained tears again. Please hold them back. Don't let dishonesty hurt you. No. Put the sharp object down.

"No!"

You hear me scream and you drop the object. You look around. You see me with my hand against the mirror. You are confused. You are scared. You lay your hand on mine.

I let my own tears fall as I whisper, "stay strong love."

You nod and let your own tears fall. "Thank you."

After that night you acknowledge me more. You stop when you see me and smile. I mock you as usual and smile back.

You know I'm there. I'll hold your hand when you cry and when you are  scared or desperate, you will hear my voice. Then you know, you are not alone.

So is your reflection, really just a reflection? When you hear someone call your name, who is it? Is it me? Maybe. Who knows. I am your guardian but you call me your reflection.