Back home-

July 1st 2552-
   Lindsay kept her promise. But Micheal didn't! He promised her he wouldn't die...there was only a month and a half left and he goes and dies now? 

   She was leaning against the wall looking down, trying to keep it together. The marine said M.I.A., not dead! She knew that Michael was strong. He wasn't going down without a fight. Hell, if he were any better, he'd be the best of the best! An ODST! Though, she wouldn't support the transition if an application opened up.

   She heard rumors of this legendary warrior, they call it a Spartan. She didn't believe in them, though. Were they even human, if real at all? They...they did the impossible. Alone. That wasen't human, at least for her.
   She looked around her room, and felt gratitude for whatever preserved it for her...for humanity! Whatever it was...she was going to make sure to send a thank-you note at the end of all of this. Until then, she had to worry about Micheal.
   She finally got to her senses and decided to call her friend. She walked into her kitchen, where she kept her pad. She picked it up and stared at the holographic device that weighed nothing. She was grateful for whatever brilliant mind came up with this piece of technology. 

   Lindsay finally went to her contacts and called the person she'd known to trust her whole life: Emily. She'd, if not know what to do, would at least comfort her. That's what friends were for, in the least. She took a breath, then hit call. It rang twice before she heard her voice.

   "Hello? Hey, Lindsay. What's up?"

   "I..." She took another breath," I've got some news. Are you free?" 

   "I'm on my way." Emily hung up. That's why she loved her. Not because she was straight to the point, but because she never missed a beat, never missed anything important and always took the hints. 

   She laughed to herself at the thought of writing Emily a thank-you note. As a matter of fact, she just might do that, even though she deserved more than that. But that was for a later time. 

   Lindsay sat on the couch, patiently waiting for that live saving knock on the door. Finally, after ten minutes, she heard it. She appreciated the fact that Emily put up with all her moral beliefs. Now a days, people use the advanced version of what she had: an old doorbell and knocker. She liked the old fashioned fanciness and treated it like a delicacy. It's one of the reasons she loved Micheal so, because he agreed with the beliefs. 

   Lindsay got up and opened the door, instead of pushing the button embedded in the cloth of the couch. If felt good to not be lazy, honestly. She didn't know how others lived like that.

   "Lindsay!" Emily immediately embraced her," Are you alright!" She let go after a few seconds and studied her face, probably looking for tears.  

  She just shook her head and looked down, unsure of how to start.

  "Come on. Fill me in. Let's go, sit down now." Emily took her hand and dragged her to the couch, and they both sat down; Emily with a look of worry, Lindsay with one of up in the atmosphere. She looked like she was staring off in space yet knew exactly what was going on.

   Emily rolled her wrists in circles and raised her eyebrows, not daring to break the silence but telling Lindsay to speak; it was going to be alright. 

   Lindsay nodded a few times and finally got out,"Micheal...Micheal! He's MIA, Emily! MIA!" She felt her face flush and her eyes got cloudy from the warm tears. A single tear escaped and rolled down her face. 

   "Lindsay. Look at me," Emily said after a  minute of silence," I've already told you that Micheal can't die. If he did, then he would get so scared by the thought of me he'd come back alive just to escape the torture of knowing what'd I do to him. It's impossible for him to be dead, and you better remember that, okay!" Lindsay looked up and smiled at how ridiculous that sounded, but for the sake of Emily putting up with it, nodded in agreement.

   "Yeah! You're right!" She said weakly. 

   "Don't worry about him! Just forty-five more days, okay!" Emily smiled confidently, but her voice quavered like she was trying to convince herself more than Lindsay. Lindsay just nodded, trying to ignore the fact. 

   "You know what you need?" Emily asked with her confidence back.

   "What's that?" She perked up a bit.

   "You need some good old fashioned "How I Met Your Mother." 

   Lindsay laughed at that, relieved that her hunch was right. Emily says she liked the old show, but they were only into the fourth season...after two years. Even at it's age, she still loved how meaningful it was in her life. She had another thing to add to her grateful list, the one specifically made for her mother. She is the one who showed the show and she'd fallen in love with it ever since. Maybe she'd start that thank-you note tomorrow. Everyone needed encouragement once and a while.