Chapter 10

Four accusing faces stared me down as my mind ran through several possibilities, searching for the most believable one. Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to lie to them. But I couldn't forget what Nate had said would happen if I told anyone how we had met. As much as I wasn't overwhelmed with love for the guy, I didn't want him dead.

My wolf took advantage of my confusion to intervene and use me as her mouthpiece. It was the first time she had done anything to involve herself in a human conversation. "I met Nathan when we were children, before the Shadowcats left. I haven't spoken to him for years."

A total lie, of course, though at least it was plausible. Three of my friends seemed to accept that easily, but one narrowed his eyes. Apparently I wasn't the only one who was too perceptive for my own good.

"Interesting. I suppose you met his dad as well, then?" Kai inquired in an oh-so-benevolent tone.

As I obviously didn't know who Nate's dad was, I went with the safest answer I could find.

"Not really. I mean my parents babysat him a few times, but I don't remember much," I explained hesitantly. This time, Kai gave up on calling me out and nodded.

"You guys aren't saying that the guy we met in the woods yesterday was Nathan Silveryn?!" Becky growled.

"Well ... yes," Kai replied casually.

"And nobody told me? You both knew and you let me go ahead and start planning his demise? Were you trying to get me killed?"

"I wouldn't say—" Kai began, but he caught the look on Becky's face and promptly changed his answer. "Sorry."

I wanted to ask why everyone seemed so afraid of him, but not as much as I wanted to change the subject to something less treacherous. "Oh, look, is that the time? We should head back if we want to cook these."

I gathered up the line and still flopping fish and trudged off towards the fortress without checking they were even following. A twig snapped to my left and suddenly Kai was beside me. I looked anywhere except at him. The robin perched on a tree branch became fascinating, the rotting leaves that coated the forest floor were intriguing, and the spot of mud on my dark jacket was enthralling. Anything except face up to the tangled web of secrets that had ensnared my life.

"I remember you now," Kai spoke quietly.

"What do you mean?" I kept my voice just as low, still dodging his eyes.

"You're the one who was with Seb when..." He trailed off uncertainly.

Oh. Well, then. He knew.

"Yes." This time it was barely audible.

Kai left a short pause. "I knew him quite well, though not as well as you, obviously. He was on my rota most of the time. When I heard what happened ... I'm sorry, Sav. He didn't deserve that."

Sorry. It was the same thing I'd said to him about his father's death. I didn't know why that was the typical thing to say in situations like these. What happened to Seb wasn't his fault, but he was apologising anyway.

"What gave me away?" I asked dryly.

Kai shrugged. "Seb knew Nathan as well, which got me wondering what happened to the little Fairborne girl who witnessed something so horrible."

What? Seb knew Nate? Why didn't I know that?

The questions were running circles around my mind. Secrets within secrets.

But Kai hadn't finished. "And in response to your earlier questions, Nathan was my guide when I was fostered with the Shadowcats. We never got on brilliantly. The Shadowcats claim they left because they no longer wanted any involvement in werewolf society. I've always suspected it had a lot more to do with my mother's decision to marry a Rochester. So there. Are you satisfied now?"