Chapter 13

I didn't stand still to be kidnapped. Normal instincts during an abduction were to kick and lash out with everything and anything you could get your hands on. I was no exception to that rule. My feet made contact with flesh and bone, and I did my damn best to bite the hand of my attacker. He reacted in the much the same way that a brick wall would.

"Jesus, Sav!" a voice hissed in my ear.

I stopped struggling and hung loose in the stranger's arms. He knew my name... What the actual fudge? Then it occurred to me that I recognised his voice.

"Nate?" I tried to ask. The hand over my mouth was cutting off all the oxygen, so it probably came out as more of a low hum.

Without resistance, he turned me around so I was facing my abductor. I stared up at the familiar face of my favourite Shadowcat buddy, and a pair of green eyes stared right back. Nate pressed a finger against my lips in a final warning to be quiet, then released my mouth.

"Was that really necessary?" That was my first, quietly annoyed question.

"Yes," Nate replied bluntly.

"You know, when normal people want to talk, we call each other or Moon Goddess forbid, have a conversation in — I don't know — public!" I shout-whispered.

Nate ignored my outburst completely. "Just so you know, your friend Alex was wrong. 'Getting on the pill' as he put it, has a far lower-"

"Oh my God, shut up please," I begged.

Just for the briefest moment, a smile flitted across Nate's lips. Did he just try to wind me up? Who was this and what had he done with the uptight, grumpy boy who invaded my home? Not that I was complaining. I was also suddenly very aware of how close we were in this cramped corner.

"Try to keep your voice down because we don't have long. Niamh told me you seemed confused about my message," Nate continued as if nothing had happened.

"I am," I admitted. "I have no clue where Seb was posted, let alone what he was doing there."

The Shadowcat narrowed his eyes. "I'm sorry if I don't believe that. He was your brother, wasn't he?"

"Cousin, actually. And I was eleven-years-old," I explained.

"But you don't have any idea at all what your cousin was involved in? What, did you think his murder was random?"

Yes. Yes, I did. Cold shock spread through my body. It had never occurred to me that Seb could be anything more than a victim of random violence. Nate spoke with such indifference and insensitivity that I would have punched him if there was enough room to swing.

Even if I could have thought of anything to say, Nate carried on, oblivious. "I will take that expression as a no. Find out. Ask your parents, talk to his patrol, read his diary for all I care. I need to know who killed him."

I drew myself up to my full height, making my eyes level with his shoulders. "I may not know what Seb was doing, but I do know two things for sure. One, you're an ass. And two, I don't have to tell you jack squat."

"That is true. I have not forgotten the blood debt, but do this for me and I may just return the favour. Before the year is out, you will need my help plenty." At that point, I made a sound of disgust and disbelief. He ignored me, which seemed to be his favourite thing to do. "You are friends with the prince. Believe me when I say helping me will help him. Shadowcats are sworn to the throne — never forget that."

He put particular emphasis on the word, and for the first time it struck me that it wasn't the rightful monarch or ruler that the Shadowcats obeyed. It was whoever sat on the throne at Holyhead. Nate seemed to be trying to draw my attention to that, like it was some kind of critical clue. What the hell?