Chapter 28

Here's part two, as promised. Don't be shy, kiddies - you can talk, you know. I don't bite...often.

I built Kai's throne. Not even figuratively. I literally collected twisted chunks of driftwood from the beach and helped hammer them together. It was a rough chair, not sanded or smooth, but it worked.

"Do you think he was right about Rhodric?" I asked. After our second hike to the beach and back, I was taking a long break on a fallen tree. The others had gladly stopped with me.

"I don't know," Nate admitted roughly. "It could be that he hasn't got any messages. It could be that he doesn't care. I guess we'll just have to find out."

"And how exactly are we going to do that? If the last messages haven't reached him, there's no reason why ours should."

He shrugged. "Kaeden asked to go to the mainland — you heard him. He must have some ideas."

I frowned, stood up and started walking again.

The Silveryn land was beautiful. They owned the rocky, mountainous terrain in the north-west. I loved every inch of ash woodland, quiet and secluded and peaceful. Ben had a permanent smile on his face. Alex wouldn't stop throwing acorns at us. Even Becky's vile mood receded in the sunlight. In short, we were all happier than we'd been in days.

Except Kai. He thought he was being sneaky, but no one had failed to notice when he slipped away from the group. Just like no one hadn't seen where he was now sat, leaning against a tree trunk. Isolated and miserable. I, personally, thought it was remarkable he had buried his grief this long.

"Should we ... do anything?" Becky asked hesitantly, with a nod at his distant silhouette.

I stared at him before shaking my head. "No. Sometimes people need to be left alone. Kai will let us know when he wants company again."

Her shoulders rose and fell. "If you say so. But I feel a tiny bit guilty for having a go at him earlier. Think I should maybe apologise?"

"Believe me," I said wearily, "he couldn't care less about that at the moment. Just ... leave him."

So we did. But when Ben disappeared, I knew he had stayed to wait for Kai, however long it took. Good. Now he would know we hadn't forgotten him. Those two had known each other most of their lives. If anyone could comfort him, it was Ben.

I remembered all too well the months following Seb's death. I had cried and cried, and only Alex had been able to get through to me. Sometimes, I caught him looking at me too long and wondered if he was thinking of those same months.

Entering the woodland hall for the third time didn't diminish its beauty. I began to wonder if I would ever tire of those interlocking branches, interspersed by rays of sunlight. Isaiah Silveryn seemed to have waved the formalities — he was wielding a hammer himself.

Natalia was waiting beside the door, and she immediately offered to take my load of driftwood. I refused as politely as I could. I didn't want to like her. It would be harder if I liked her. And I think she guessed that decision.

"Bring it over," Isaiah commanded. He scanned our group sharply. "Where's Kaeden?"

No mention of Ben. I doubt he remembered him, let alone cared. I sighed.

Nate was the one to bother answering, with that carefully honed boredom of his. "He will catch up in a minute."

"Fool," his father hissed. "Damned fool. You know better than to leave the prince unguarded, Nathan."