Chapter 30

'Scared' was a mild word for what I felt. Not even 'terrified' quite covered it. Because when your life is in immediate danger, something beyond fear kicks in. Pure, unfettered instinct to preserve your life, no matter the cost or the consequences. And that is what I felt when we were caught spying on the strangers.

Nate didn't need to pull me away; I was moving backwards on my own. It didn't matter that we stumbled over roots and branches in our hurry — as long as we were getting away, it would be okay, I was sure.

Kai, though... He didn't even flinch. Just stayed behind the bush and stared at the shadowy figure with an odd frown. Something was puzzling him, or occurring to him, and it was clearly important enough to risk his life for. Not even my tugs at the mind-link could jolt him from his concentration.

"Or we have s'mores, if you prefer," the girl offered cheerfully. "You must be starving after all that running last night. So there's no need to be shy — come on out and say hi."

We stayed silent. Even though she didn't sound remotely threatening or angry, I found my flight instinct bubble to a crescendo. Leave, leave, leave, my wolf was insisting. Prey. Run.

"Really?" And this time, there was a hint of impatience in her voice. "Don't play games, now. And don't make us come looking."

Kai took a step forwards, as if in a daze. His gaze hadn't moved an inch, and I could have sworn there was an undercurrent of excitement through the mind-link. It worried me enough to make me take a step backwards, towards him.

Nate cursed under his breath at the movement. Then he too retraced his steps and called out cautiously, "We're coming out. And unarmed."

"I don't particularly care. Guns and knives won't help you now." It was said so casually that it didn't even seem to be a threat. Just a cold, hard fact. It didn't even occur to me to doubt her.

"Did you follow us from the coast?" he asked before moving any further.

I knew the real question there. Did you kill Brylan?

She shrugged. "Yes, and you led us a merry dance. I thought it was cute, personally. But you're done running now, so it's time to talk like adults. I won't say it again. Come out."

Kai didn't need any encouragement at all. He skirted the holly bush to stand in the open, and I saw a smile spread across his face. "I know who you are."

That woke my curiosity. I followed him and for the first time, got a real look at the strangers. All five of them were dressed practically: jackets and jeans and hiking boots. All five of them had suntanned skin from long days spent outside. And all five of them gave the impression of untamed wildness.

I sniffed subtly, and sure enough, their scents were distinct, even mingled with the smoke. And while I didn't recognise any of them, there was a foreignness which told me one thing clearly — they weren't from the island.

Rogues.

The one Kai was looking at, who was giving his marshmallow more attention than us, was the male from the crossroads. Damn him. In the daylight, I could finally pick out light-brown hair and hazel eyes. And, well...he was hot, however much I hated to admit it.

"Yeah?" he asked lazily, finally deigning to look up.

"I'm Kai. And you're Brandon Llewellyn, aren't you? My cousin?"

The rogue snorted. "Aw, for real? That wasn't even a halfway decent guess. Bran's been dead for almost a year, buddy. And good riddance."

Kai started frowning again. I reckoned he was lost now, stumped. I couldn't boast of any ideas of my own...although come to think of it, I wasn't sure I knew the names of any other mainlanders anyway, unless —