Chapter 12

"Not bad, pups." The she-wolf spoke through the mind-link as she rolled onto her feet. Kai had released her immediately upon submission. "Not bad at all."

The five of us stood in a circle around her. Everyone was dripping wet except Alex, who hadn't needed to swim at all. Lucky bastard. It had taken me half a dozen full-body shakes just to feel a little less like a drowned rat.

"You didn't do so badly yourself," Kai commented.

"Oh, please. I walked right into that trap! I'm Zara, leader of Patrol Eighty-Eight. Now, what are your names? We have a bet going on at the barracks about who will make it through, and I'm going to need to put my money on you lot." She spoke with the same kind of unquestionable authority that Kai possessed. Maybe it was a leader thing.

"I'm Kai. This is Sav, Ben, Becky and Alex."

"Right ... got it. I think I may just invest in you. So as your prisoner, should I return to Evarlin, or can I laugh at my patrol members getting their asses kicked?"

"Actually, neither," I spoke for the first time. "You're a miscreant, right? So I guess there's a possibility we can turn you against your partners in crime."

The look in Zara's eyes said it all. "That rather depends on the price."

"If you help us bring down your friends, we'll put in a good word with the moderator at your trial. There'll be a good chance of leniency. I can also promise the most comfortable cell we have until said trail," Kai offered. It hadn't exactly been planned, but I was really hoping she would agree.

"Who am I kidding? They're all scum anyway. I'll help you on those terms," she agreed.

Zara ran her eyes over Kai, clearly impressed. "You got any experience in soft takedowns? Because you didn't even break the skin on my neck."

"A bit, yeah. I nagged my trainer into showing me a few things." Kai's wolf had been gradually gravitating towards me. So slowly I didn't even notice until he brushed up against me.

"Very useful. You stick with me. The rest of you, spread yourselves out and cut off the escape routes. One of my patrol is heading towards us now."

I was a little disappointed to be demoted so soon, but I also knew I needed to learn a lot more before I could be of real use. In the chaos of open combat, my inexperience could get someone killed, especially if my wolf panicked.

I positioned myself directly to Kai's right-hand side in the shelter of the trees. The others also obeyed Zara, although Becky in particular didn't look very happy about it. And then all we could do was wait.

A bulky wolf came barrelling into the clearing. It looked a lot like he was being chased, but the pursuers were nowhere to be seen. He almost ran straight into Ben, who snapped at his front legs, successfully encouraging the 'target' back in our direction.

After that, it was just a question of watching Kai and Zara thoroughly kick his ass, all without drawing blood. Between them, they brought down the male wolf in a matter of seconds. It was almost scary to watch. He submitted quickly enough after that.

"Meet Eric Rochester, also from Patrol Eighty-Eight," Zara introduced him.

"Traitor," he snapped at Zara through the link. "Why are you helping them?"

Zara didn't sound worried. "What can I say Eric? They made an offer I couldn't refuse."

Eric snorted. "So I suppose I have to help you all with Tobias?"

She smirked at us. "Actually, no. I want to see what this lot can do on their own, without a convenient river to help them."

"Whoa, wait up," Kaeden mind-linked, alarmed. "The deal was you help us with both of them."