The Boy With The Umbrella

You were sitting at the movies, feeling so sick and tired of people. Mom was drunk, God knew where Dad was, and your boyfriend Eli stood you up for the sixth time in two months. "Tomorrow," you muttered to yourself. "I'll end it with that no good bum tomorrow." But you knew you were lying to yourself. You'd basically been letting him hurt you in any way humanly possible for the past eight months, all because you where scared of him and what he'd do if you left. So there you sat in the back of the theater, repeatedly swallowing that baseball sized lump in the back of your throat.

"You're a wimp, (Y/N). You have no worth," whispered a voice in the back of your head. This movie was supposed to be at least two hours, you couldn't sit here and pretend to be okay for that long...anymore, at least. So you ran. You could've run for miles, straight outta town even, but you had to settle for stopping at the alley. It had always been your retreat.

So there you sat, letting mascara drip down your cheeks. To make matters worse, it started raining on your pity parade--literally. You looked up fondly at the sky. You hated rain, but the sky was the only one to cry with you for five of the fifteen years of your life--that's how long it had been since your sister Fawn was killed in a car accident, at only thirteen years old. You'd loved her more than anyone. You buried your face in your arms for a minute until you realized that you didn't feel the pitter patter of the water anymore, but you could still hear it. You looked up to see a boy around your age holding an umbrella. You stood up, blushing. He was really handsome. Dark hair and eyes, and olive skin, which was currently a little pink.

"Thank you," you said quietly, staring at the ground.

"Don't mention it," he replied. There was a short silence. "Are you okay?" he asked. You sighed.

"Nope. I actually come here because I have to pretend I'm alright pretty much everywhere else," you said without batting an eye. You were just naturally honest in the alley. Force of habit. "How 'bout you?" you asked, looking up at him. He had a look of slight admiration on his face.

"I...I couldn'ta said it better," he stuttered. You smiled a little. "I'm Johnny Cade," he said.

"(Y/N) (Y/L/N)." You guys talked for a little longer. You liked Johnny Cade from the start.

You went up to your house and heard a bottle break. You sighed and climbed up to your room in the attic. You closed your eyes in an attempt to sleep, but you just couldn't for some reason. Johnny said he usually sleeps in a lot a few blocks away and it was still raining out! How did he take weather like this? Oh God, was that lightning? Bottom line, you didn't sleep at all that night.