Chapter 3

Zoe woke up to a bright light in her face. When she opened her eyes she saw the morning sun shining through the windows of the loft. It took her a couple seconds to remember where she was but then she remembered. Her crazy messed up life had become just a little more messed up. She stretched out on the couch and the smell of what she thought could be pancakes made its way to her nose. She sat up and looked behind her towards the kitchen. Mr. Castle was there flipping another flap jack.

"Good morning sunshine! Sleep well?" he asked with a smile.

"Um, ya, I guess so", Zoe said standing up and walking towards the breakfast bar.

"Well I hope you are hungry because I have concocted an elaborate spread of pancakes, eggs, bacon, and assortment of fruits to keep you full til dinner! Or...lunch, depending on your metabolism". Zoe let out a little giggle at the man, he seemed like such a kid and it made her feel more at ease around him. "So, what will your poison be young lady"

"One of each, please, sir", she said with a sly smile.

"Ah a girl after my own heart"

Castle loaded her plate up with food and then sat next to the girl to eat his own. They didn't say much to each other, just the occasional smile back and forth in between bites of food. A few years ago, Zoe would have put up a wall to any person who tried to get to know her but after being bounced around in the system, she found that her times in places were easier if she at least tried to make it work...but always ready for the inevitable failure of it.

"Well you two are up early. What smells so good babe?", Kate asked as she came up behind Castle and gave him a peck on the cheek. She was dressed for work in black pant suit with a white dress shirt underneath. Her wavy hair hung past her shoulders and she glided through the kitchen in her six inch heels. 'How does she even run in those', Zoe thought to herself.

"Pancakes", he grinned.

"They any good, Zoe?" she looked to the young girl as she poured herself a cup of coffee. The girl nodded her head vigorously with her mouth full of food.

"Ha ha, ok then I guess I'll give them a shot. By the way, do you want to come to work with me today, or do you want to hang out here with Castle"? The girl looked back and forth between the two adults, not quite sure who to pick. "You won't hurt my feelings if you pick him, I wouldn't want to sit at a desk for hours if I didn't have to", Kate said reassuringly.

"Actually", Castle interrupted, "I was planning on coming in this afternoon. How about Zoe stays with me and then we'll come by for lunch around one. Sound good?" The girl seemed to relax as the pressure of a decision lifted off her shoulders. She smiled and nodded her head.

"Alright then, I have to get going", Kate poured some coffee into a travel mug, walked over to Castle to give him a good bye kiss, and patted Zoe on the back, "I'll see you two a little later"

"Bye", Rick and Zoe said in unison causing a smile to spread across Zoe's face. She liked these people, granted she had only spent less than 24 hours with them but they seemed cool.

"So...we have a few hours to kill", Castle turned to look at Zoe with a suspicious grin.

"Yaaa?", Zoe was a little concerned as to what he had up his sleeve.

"How are you in the art of....laser tag?" he grinned as he reached down and pulled out a laser tag gun. 'Where the heck was he keeping that she thought.'

"I think you better watch your back old man", she said with a serious face.

"Hmm, a worthy foe perhaps? We shall see child...we...shall...see...mwhahaha", Zoe gave him a weird look.

"Too much?", he asked

"Just a little", she laughed.