Chapter 4

"Hey Ryan, have you got anywhere with finding Zoe's neighbor?"

"So far no, it's like he's a ghost"

Beckett let out a sigh of frustration, "Ok...just...keep trying. Let me know if you find anything"

"Will do Cap", Ryan gave her a sympathetic look before walking out of her office. This case wasn't even twenty four hours old yet and already it was getting to her. There was something about this kid that made Beckett want to get this right and get it right fast.

She went back to the mountains of paper work that had accumulated on her desk, working nonstop with her music on in the background. She didn't look up from her work until she heard a knock on the door. It was Castle and Zoe with lunch, just like they had promised.

"Hey, guys", she smiled, "come on in. You guys have perfect timing"

"We brought Remy's...hope that's ok", Castle walked over and gave her a kiss before setting the paper bags of food on her desk.

"Remy's is always ok", she said eagerly diving into the bags. The three of them ate, with Kate and Rick making casual conversation and Zoe eating quietly.

"So, Zoe, how was your day with my husband over here? He didn't drive you too crazy did he?"

"No", Zoe smirked, "We played laser tag"

"Castle, please tell me my house is in one piece", she knew how his games with Alexis could get and she could only imagine what he managed to do this time.

"What kind of a husband do you think I would be if I left the house a mess for you to come home to?"

Not believing him for a second, Kate turned to Zoe. The girl just looked between the two of them while sipping on her drink. "I plead the fifth". This only caused both adults to laugh, especially Kate who was impressed that the girl used it in the right context.

"Zoe, after w
I get home from work I'm going to take you back to your house so you can grab your things. I didn't really think you would want to keep wearing the same jeans and sweat shirt", the girl gave a grateful smile and went back to her burger.

"Zoe, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? In all the craziness of yesterday we never really asked did we? You go to school right?", Kate asked

"I'm twelve but my birthday is next month. I'm supposed to be in seventh grade", Zoe quietly answered.

"Supposed to be?" Castle asked suspicious of the wording.

"Um...well...when you get bounced around a lot...it's kind of hard to stay in the same school. The school I'm in now, I've been at for the whole year so far. Mrs. Asher lived in the same district so that's why I still go there. I guess wherever I go next will have a different school so"

"So you don't get attached", Castle said mater of factly.

"Ya...pretty much"

"Well for now you don't need to worry about any of that Zoe. Right now we just want to focus on keeping you safe." Kate tried to reassure the girl.

"And we're going to let you do just that. Come on Zoe, we better get going so Beckett can get back to work.", Rick stood up and threw away the trash before heading over to Kate.

"Oh...ok", Zoe said with disappointment.

"You ok?", Kate asked

"Ya I'm fine, I just kinda wanted to stay here and help"

Castle and Beckett looked at each other with surprised faces. Zoe wanted to help and who could blame her, she had been through a lot, not just in the past day but in her entire life. She never knew her mother and had lost her father. Both Rick and Kate could sympathize with the child. However, Beckett had been right before, their first priority had to be keeping her safe. Beckett stood up from her chair and walked over to the girl sitting on the couch and kneeled down so that they were eye level.

"Please, I just want to help", Zoe said with a pleading look. Her brown eyes melted Kate's heart where she felt a deep need to take the child in her arms and assure her that everything would be ok.

"Zoe, I know you want to help but right now the safest place for you is with one of us..."

"I'd be with you!" Zoe cut her off.

"...at the loft with the protection detail." Kate finished. The child seemed like she wanted to argue further but gave up. "I promise, I will let you know if we figure anything out". Zoe didn't seem convinced. "Hey", Beckett tilted her head catching the girls eyes so she would look at her, "I promise"

Zoe, looked at her for what seemed like forever before finally nodding her head and standing up to join Castle at the door. He put a reassuring hand on the girls shoulder as she passed him through the door.

"We'll see you at home", Castle leaned in and kissed his wife goodbye.

"Bye Babe", Kate watched as they walked across the bull pen towards the elevator before disappearing behind the sliding doors.

"Hey Beckett", she turned to find Esposito and Ryan standing with hopeful faces. "We got a lead"