Ryan Feathestone

Dedicated to @HunterofArtemis21375 for their fabulous OC. Hope you like.

I look around the room at all the faces returning refreshed from their summer holidays. In a couple of seconds is picked out the only boy I didn't recognize. I look at my seating plan. Perseus Jackson. I'd heard of him. Apparently he's been kicked out of a lot of school's in his time. I feel my heart soften for the guy. I wondered if he is as bad as all the teachers make him out to be. I looked over to the back where he's sitting. He has troublemaker inscribed all over him. Messy black hair, green eyes and a smile that is making all the girls in this class, and even a couple guys, swoon. My once softened heart closes back up again as I see the troublemaker side of him.

"Okay, class. We're going to dive right in. Please open your textbooks to page 1," I tell them, scrawling my name quickly onto the chalk board. While they haul out their textbooks, groaning, I relate the school year's plan to them in full. "First off we will be exploring different myths from the ancient days, including Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, Ancient Egypt and others. We will be comparing these different myths later.

"For the second half of the school year we will be doing studies of different wars, the First World War, the Second World War, the Civil War, etc.

"In addition, there will be a pop quiz every Tuesday. Come prepared for your brain to melt," I finish.

Most people complain I'm too strict. Maybe I am, but I just want the best for the students. I want them to be completely confident in their knowledge of history around the world when they go into grade twelve and then hopefully to college. None of them will ever be as good in the subject as I am, but I can at least try to help them.

I hear the moans and the groans from the students and someone asks, "Will there be a pop quiz tomorrow?"

"Yes, Anthony, I said every Tuesday," I reply nonchalantly, not bothering to look up because I know his voice so well.

More groans and complaints. If only they saw that this is benefiting them.

"Textbooks. Open." They obey my order and all slam the cover open on their textbooks as one. "Perseus Jackson, please read the opening paragraph."

"It's Percy," the black haired boy in the finally row tells me. "Mr. Feathestone," he adds on as an after thought.

"Well then, Percy. Please read the opening paragraph," I say again, waiting for him to begin. My hand hovers over the black board with chalk in hand. I wait patiently for him to start

"Egyptian...Myths...and...no, are...po-poss-possy? Possibly? Possibly. The...moat...no, most...unite...no, unique? Ya, unique...Myths...in...his...histare...histare? No, histore—"

"History, Percy. History," I tell him, tapping my foot in annoyance. He blushes scarlet, in embarrassment or anger I don't know. I move on and tell another random person to read the rest of the paragraph.

It moves like this for an hour, person by person, paragraph by paragraph, until the bell rings. "Percy, may I talk to you?" I ask before he has a chance to dick out of the room. His back straightens visibly and he mutters, "sure."

"Why didn't you read the paragraph properly?"

Percy glares at me.

I raise my eyebrows at him. "Why didn't you read the paragraph?"

He mutters something under his breath.

"Excuse me?"

"I said, I have dyslexia. Gods, get a hearing aid!" he replies, looking me straight in the eye.