sixteen

"So..." Lauren broke the ice after having walked in silence side by side with Camila, since she had met up with her at her locker.

She squinted down at the asphalt that paved the front parking lot of Miami High, the tiny rocks in the ground reflecting brightly from the sun.

"So?" Camila shrugged, and offered her right arm to her, wrapping it around her waist instead when she failed to acknowledge the gesture.

"So, how did Ariana take things? She was shooting me horrible death glares during math, but I guess that's to be expected." Lauren shrugged it off, though she truly felt more guilty than she let on. At the beginning, when Ariana had what she wanted, it was easy for Lauren to hate her, but now, Lauren had to deal with the feeling of being in the "winner's" position.

"She was really angry with me." Camila confirmed, "But, you know, she's still a pretty even tempered person, no matter what the circumstances."

Now Lauren rolled her eyes, despite how badly she felt for what she had done behind Ariana's back. The blonde had taken the opportunity to tell Lauren off the previous summer, even succeeding in hurting the indestructible Lauren's feelings, and she still had a hard time with the fact that all times before and after that, Ariana's character had almost resembled that of a saint. Why had the mini Mother Teresa's vicious side been spared of everyone at Miami High, save Lauren? Of course, mental images of Lauren moaning underneath Camila while her phone rang, flashing a picture of then girlfriend Ariana reminded Lauren that karma perhaps had played a part, and that if it were truly a bitch as the expression went, maybe that came even in the form of Ariana Grande.

"I think it bothered her more to realize that I really care about you." Camila continued, humming softly as she gently stroked Lauren's hip, "It was hard for her to lose me to someone else. She never loses at anything."

"Do you think that's because of karma?" Lauren mentioned, while it was on her mind.

"Huh?" Camila furrowed her brow against the sun, straining to make out the outline of her sky blue truck.

"Do you think that Ariana seems to win at everything without even trying, because of karma? You know, because she's so nice twenty four seven." Lauren elaborated. She opened the passenger door, by now immune to the students' stares, and climbed in.

"Well I wonder what she did for me to screw her over like this." Camila mused, sliding in next to her.

"That's just it. I don't think she did anything. I think this thing- our baby- is the product of karma."

"You mean like our punishment for running around like we did?" Camila chuckled.

"Exactly." Lauren answered in all seriousness, "And I think Ariana will end up coming out on top somehow. Getting rid of you will probably be the best thing that ever happened to her."

"Gee thanks." Camila said sarcastically, letting a pout form on her lips.

She turned the keys in the ignition and then glanced over at the dark haired girl. Her usually glowing face had paled into a sickly shade, and she looked somewhat queasy.

"Are you making that face because of nerves or pregnancy sickness?" Camila asked, "I don't really know how all this works."

"I don't know. Nerves I guess. I think whenever I get sick it's usually in the morning. Not always though." Lauren inhaled deeply and held the breath, glancing down at the car seat and spotting a tiny hole in the interior. She began to pick at it with her thumb nail, using it as a form of distraction from her upset stomach and clammy palms.

"Don't do that." Camila grabbed her hand and pulled it away from the seat. She finally pulled out of her parking space, not in any hurry to make it to their next destination.