twenty

It wasn't a dream wedding, by anybody's account.

Camila and Lauren stood in the court room, their parents, and Normani the only witnesses. Lauren had turned eighteen the month previous, but Camila was still seventeen, a minor, and in need of her parents' signature. Camila's palms were sweating. This certainly was not how she had pictured getting married, and she knew for certain Lauren's fantasies had to consist of something far more extravagant.

They were dressed up, somewhat, for the occasion, even with the circumstances. Lauren's dress was indeed white, empire waisted, the skirt falling loosely down her now very prominent baby bump, and stopping a few inches above her knees.

Camila decided to forgo the white dress, instead going with a pale pink lace one, with a satin bow wrapped around her chest, just below her left shoulder.

Lauren had followed along with the wedding traditions, even refusing to go to the court room with Camila, certain their relationship would be doomed if she saw her beforehand. Her dress was something new, and she wore a pair of sapphire earrings as both her old and her blue. The baby, she had explained to Camila beforehand, was her something borrowed, considering, as she'd joked, Camila had to lend her some of her best to make it, and it wouldn't stay inside of her forever.

She did look beautiful, and Camila held her hand tightly while signing the necessary papers in front of the judge, kissing her cheek a few times in between.

In a way, Camila felt as if she were signing away her childhood, for good. It was something that was approaching fast anyhow, unplanned pregnancy or not, but to suddenly have a wife, and soon a child, just as she had finished high school, presented her with the difficult challenge to grow up completely in a matter of months. She would not have those college years to find herself, nor would Lauren. She had a family to take care of instead, a new never ending and unwavering responsibility.

But, amidst all of the chaos, the intertwining of the two worlds apart families, the stress, and the nerves, Camila was excited. When she placed her hands on Lauren's full belly, and felt the life they had created kicking inside, she was filled with indescribable joy. She was eager to meet her child, their child, and anxiously awaited the soon to come day when the baby would be born.

"I love you." Camila whispered into Lauren's ear, as they were walking outside, away from the stuffy court room.

"Are you scared?" Was her response, looking at her with worried eyes.

"Of what?" Camila asked, wrapping her arm around her waist, trying to make things as casual as possible, for her benefit at least.

"Of being married." Lauren bit her bottom lip, "I understand it was sort of a high pressure situation for you."

Camila blew a long, steady stream of air out of her lips, "I love you Lauren. We're having a baby. Am I scared to suddenly dive into all of this at seventeen? Yes. But I'm not... unhappy."

Lauren felt a light tug at the corners of her mouth, "I'm not unhappy either."

"That's because I love you." Camila placed a kiss on the top of her nose, and her smile grew fuller.

Their parents were walking behind them in pairs, first the Jauregui's, followed by the Cabello's.

Alejandro still was not thrilled about many elements of the current situation: his daughter not pursuing both a college education and soccer career, the fact that she was marrying so young, which Alejandro was sure would result in broken hearts and bad blood a few years down the line, and of course the fact that she was choosing to raise a child when she was still one herself. But, he had accepted the circumstances for what they were. He was at least proud of Camila for doing what she thought was the right thing, and for handling the situation, honestly, with a much more level head and positive outlook than Alejandro himself imagined he would be able to were he in the same position.