~16~

A few more months had passed, and I was reaching the end of my pregnancy. Jonathan would be here in a few weeks, and we were ready for him. We had rearranged the rooms a few months back, Darry kept his room, Soda and Pony kept our bedroom, and Johnny and I were going to stay in Mom and Dad's old room. There was plenty of room in there for the baby to have his own sleeping space. I didn't want to move too much of Mom and Dad's things out, so we left the closet untouched, it wouldn't kill me to walk back and forth to get the clothes I needed; we stored their things in some boxes that fit in the large closet. I was uncomfortable about it at first, because it felt like I was trespassing at first, but I began to get more and more used to it, as the months passed. Right now, I was cleaning the kitchen, Johnny helping me, while the rest of the guys, Shante, and Nicole were in the living room, watching TV and playing a game of cards. Pony had gone to the movie house that afternoon and hadn't come back yet.

“He should be back by now. I doubt the movie is this long,” I said, checking the time.

“You know Pony, he likes to wander,” Johnny said.

“Yeah,” I agreed, before hearing Rocco whining and scratching at the door. “I'll go let him out.”

“Okay, be careful,” Johnny said. “I'll finish up the kitchen, and then I'll come out with ya.”

“Okay, hon,” I said, before kissing his cheek, and heading out of the kitchen. I picked up Rocco's leash from the couch and Nicole was sweet enough to help me put it on him. We headed outside, Rocco sniffing about for a spot to go. It wasn't too long after Rocco actually found a good spot he liked that his ears perked up, picking up a sound. I walked in the direction Rocco was looking, before I heard distressed yelling. “Soda! Darry!” I called, worried that it may have been Pony. The gang ran out of the house, probably thinking I was going into labor, before they heard the yelling as well.

“It's Pony,” Soda said. “Sis, go back inside.”

“Rocco isn't done yet. I'm not cleanin' up dog poop out of the carpet again,” I said.

“Then stay here,” Darry said, heading off the porch, the rest of the guys following behind, including Johnny, leaving me and Rocco with the girls.

“Everything okay?” Shante asked, standing on the porch with Nicole.

“Seems Pony found trouble on his way back. It's those darn socs again,” I said, before I lost my grip on Rocco's leash. “Rocco! Rocco!” I yelled, as my dog ran off to go help with the commotion.

“Come on!” Shante called, chasing after the dog. I groaned and followed, not running too fast, because of the baby slowing me down. Nicole ran with me, making sure I didn't hurt myself. I could hear Rocco barking and the gang yelling, before I saw a maroon car peeling off, and someone chasing it with a stick.

“When did Dally get out of the cooler?” Shante asked, seeing Dallas head back to the group. Johnny hurried over to us from a spot over by the trees.

“What are you doin' out here? You could get hurt,” he said, looking me over.

“I'm fine, hon. Rocco was getting agitated from the commotion and wanted to help. Leash slipped right out of my hand,” I said.

“That dog's gonna get you in trouble,” Shante said. “Get your little butt over here.” She tried to grab Rocco's leash, but Rocco, thinking that she was playing with him, zoomed right past her.

“You didn't run all the way here, did ya?” Johnny asked.

“Nah, I jogged a little, then me and Nicole walked the rest of the way,” I said. I finished checking in with Johnny and walked over to where my brothers were. Darry was lecturing Pony like he had been for the past few months.