~18~

We finished the movie and Two-Bit offered to drive the girls back to home, since their ride left them. Two-Bit and Marcia were really hitting it off, while Cherry asked Pony questions about Darry.

“Is he wild and reckless like Sodapop or sweet like Shawna, or dreamy like you?” Cherry asked curiously.

“He ain't like Soda or Shawna, and he sure ain't like me. He can't stand me,” Pony said. “I'm sure he'd stick me in a boy's home if Soda and Shawna would let him.”

“What are you talkin' about, Ponyboy?” Two-Bit asked. I could tell he was starting to sober up as soon as he heard Pony.

“Pony you know that's not true,” I said. “Darry loves you, he just has a hard way of showin' it.”

“You've seen him, Shawna. The only reason why he's not on your case is because he doesn't want you runnin' off again. So, you can't say anythin'!” Pony yelled.

“You shut your mouth, kid!” Two-Bit said, slapping Pony upside the head.

“You went too far with that one, Pony,” Johnny said, holding my hand.

“I'm sorry,” Pony apologized. “I didn't mean it, sis.”

“It's alright, Pony. I get that Darry's puttin' a lot of pressure on ya,” I said. “If I can take some of that load off you, you know I try to.”

“Yeah, I know,” Pony said, before giving me a hug. I could tell he felt bad for yelling at me the way he did, but I didn't take it too personally, he was angry, and I understood that.

“He just puts so much pressure on you because he knows you're goin' places,” I said to him softly, before letting him go from the hug.

“I know,” Pony repeated, before seeing headlights coming toward us. I moved over toward the chain link gate, keeping a grip on Rocco's leash, as the car stopped. Two socs got out of the car and the shorter one of the two began walking, more like stumbling, up to the girls, the taller one following behind, just as badly.

“Cherry, what's goin' on? What are you doin'?!” he asked, his words a little slurred. “Just because we got a little drunk doesn't mean-” he began.

“A little?!” Cherry interrupted. “You call reeling in and passing out in the streets a little?! Bob, I told you I wouldn't go out with you when you're drinking, and I mean it!”

“Well, that doesn't mean you should go walking around with these bums,” the taller soc said, trying not to rock back and forth with how drunk he was.

“Who're you callin' bums, pal?” Two-Bit asked, completely sobered up now.

“Look, greaser, we got four more of us in the back seat,” the tall soc threatened, stepping forward to Two-Bit. Two-Bit picked up a glass bottle from the ground and smashed it against the gate, before tossing the broken half to Pony, before pulling out his blade and pointing it at the tall soc.

“Well, pity the back seat!” Two-Bit said.

“Hey! Hey! Hey!” I yelled.

“Don't!” Cherry yelled. “We'll go with you, just don't,” she said to the short one, who was Bob.

“Come on, we ain't scared of these bastards!” Two-Bit yelled.

“Two-Bit, put the knife down!” I yelled.

“We can take them, Shawna!” Two-Bit yelled, keeping his knife pointed.

“I am not losing my baby because you fools wanna see who has the bigger balls! You just handed my kid brother a damn broken bottle! Have you lost your damn mind?!” I yelled. “Put the damn knife away!" Two-Bit looked over at me, then stepped back, closing his blade. Cherry called Pony over to the side and spoke with him a little bit.