chapter 18

Two years later

I finally finished up my travels around Lukedonia. Around the time, I stopped by to see the Lord. Visits with him are always weird. The others seemed pretty happy to see me too after a long time.

Lord: Mei, your back. Its been a while since I've seen you. Come on in, my dear.
Mei: ...your as weird as ever. Its nice to see you all again, Gechutel, Rayga, Jarga, Ragus, Locktis.
Lord: how have you been, Mei?
Mei: I'm fine. I've finally completed my travels around Lukedonia. Its an interesting place.
Lord: I'm glad. So, what brings you here all of a sudden?
Mei: I just wanted to stop by before going to see Raizel. Its been a while.
Lord: ah. I've also heard some interesting news over the past time you be been gone.
Mei: ....?
Lord: a few years back, did by any chance...Raizel ask you to be his wife?
Mei: ...!

I stood there with the weirdest face as my cheeks grew red with embarrassment.

Lord: Hahahaha, judging by your expression, it's true. I didn't believe it when Raizel said it.
Mei: ....
Gechutel: Lord, please....
Lord: ah, I knew Raizel would choose you the moment you two walked in together.
Mei: ....
Lord: I see a lovely atmosphere when you two are together.
Mei: u-um....

The Lord then stood up and walked down towards me. He them took my hand that had the ring on it that Rai gave me.

Lord: Mei, I know you will ensure Raizel with a long and happy life. So can I ask one request from you?
Mei: ....?
Lord: protect him for me.
Mei: ....
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I decided to walk to Rai's house. Not because I'm nervous or anything...but because I'm still trying to slow down and really enjoy the life a little.
It was nice to hear only the sounds of the wind, and the bird's, and trees. It was like I first came to Lukedonia for the first time again.
On my way down the path I suddenly came upon Edian.

Mei: Edian, it's so nice to see yo....

She didn't even stop to acknowledge me. She just kept walking. But in that slight moment, I felt some dark energy resignate from her.

Did something happen?

I tried to ignore the feeling and continue walking till I finally reached the house. I knocked on the door but no one answered, so I let myself in. Since I haven't been here in a while I kind of got lost, until I sensed someone doing my way.
I whipped my head around and there stood....a human.

Mei: ....a human is here...?
Frankenstein: ...who...are you?

I hesitated for a second, Something about this human seemed really dark. I could feel dark energy leaking out of him.

Mei: um...I'm Mei....I'm um....I'm Cadis Etrama Di Raizel's...fiance?
Frankenstein: fiance?

He looked at me skeptical but shocked at my answer.

Mei: um.... where is Raizel?
Frankenstein: ....follow me, please.

He lead the way and I followed along behind. Something about him seemed really dark. Terrifyingly dark.

Mei:...I didn't get your name. Who are you?
Frankenstein: it's Frankenstein.

Somehow the name clicked and it all made sense.

Mei: ...The human who sacrificed and slaughtered other humans to gain power for a weapon called the dark spear.
Frankenstein: ...! How did you...?
Mei: Death told me about you.
Frankenstein: ....?
Mei: Its strange, but I can tell you've made a contract with Rai.
Frankenstein: you know all this just by looking at me.
Mei: ....some of it's just a guess..
Frankenstein: ...what part exactly...?
Mei: besides that, it's good that someone is here taking care of Rai. Thank you, Frankenstein.
Frankenstein: .....here we are.

We finally arrived at the door.

Mei: here? He's always here...

Frankenstein opened the door for me. Just as usual, Rai was standing and gazing out in front of the window. I wonder how long he's been here?

Mei: Rai....I'm back. Isn't it stuffy in here? How long have you been standing there?

I'd expected to be greeted at least with a small smile from Rai. While I did, the little smile I had turned to a frown.
Something was different.
I could feel that Raizel's life span had shortened.

Mei: Rai...

I immediately ran to his side in a panic. A voice filled with worry and concern.

Mei: you look tired and warn out. Are you sick? Are you hurt? Do you...
Raizel: Mei.

I stopped my panic and looked up at Rai.

Raizel: I'm fine.
Mei: ......you are not.
Raizel: Mei....
Mei: you are not fine! Don't lie to me!
Raizel: ....

It grew silent for a moment.

Raizel: Frankenstein. I want to be alone with Mei for a while.
Frankenstein: yes, master.

Frankenstein then left the room, leaving us alone.

Mei: your life span has shortened. I can feel it. You don't have a lot left.

I couldn't meet Raizel's gaze. My hands started to tremble violently.
Raizel took hold of both my hands, trying to calm me.

Mei: ...Rai...are you gonna die?
Raizel: ....
Mei: ...but you can't.......you said You would come outside with me when I got back.
Raizel: ....I'm sorry.

I squeezed his hands even tighter......but in that moment, that's when I had an idea.

Mei: ...take mine.
Raizel: ....?

I finally looked up at him and locked eyes with him.

Mei: take my life energy.
Raizel: ....I will not do that.
Mei: but it's okay, Rai. I'm a maiden of life. I gain life energy from every living thing around me, without affecting it's own. It won't affect my life at all. I can give you as much as you need to keep you alive. There is no downside to this for either of us.
Raizel: ....
Mei: please, Rai...
Raizel: you don't need to do that for me.
Mei: ....but I want to do this for you...besides....I'm already giving my life to you anyway, right?
Raizel: .....

I was a long silence again.

Raizel: ....okay.
Mei: r-really?

He smiled and nodded to reassure me.
I held one of Rai's hands up and placed it over my red eye. I closed my eyes to meditate for a second.

Mei: life will converge with this soul. Bond and merge to become one entity and one whole.

As I say the words, I could feel some of my energy leaving me and flowing into Raizel. I did start to grow weaker, but more life energy from the outside was giving me more strength until I could sense Raizel's life span increasing.

Mei: phew....there I'm done...do you feel better?

Raizel gave me a nod.

Mei: good. I'm glad.