Chapter Fifteen

Wood logs in the fireplaces shifted and collapsed, creating a cloud of scarlet sparks to fly upwards. Everleigh flinched, but Armis stared at the map—his callused hand stroking the stubble on his chin as realization hit him all at once. He tugged on his collar. Ever since getting on the road for the Oregon coast, nothing had gone right. His father would be so disappointed in the way things turned out.

“Did Chuck see the truck?” Coyote took a seat at the table.

“I’m sure he saw it,” Armis muttered and glanced at Everleigh. “What’s wrong?”

She chewed her lip while tracing a finger across the map—her eyes shifting back and forth from the Legend. Corbin peered over her shoulder with one hand on the small of her back as she cocked her head to the side. “Did the number of women change because of me?” 

“I believe so.” Armis nodded. “And we know Chuck had a fancy communications gadget in his basement. Which means he was in touch with someone. My guess is the government.”

Coyote leaned forward with his elbows propped on the wooden surface, their breakfast cold, and pressed his fingers to his temples. “We would be foolish to think otherwise. Which means I’ll need to get the three of you across the border tonight.”

“Woah, wait!” Armis held up his hands. “Corbin is not coming.”

“Like hell, I’m not!” 

“You are not my responsibility, nor my priority,” Armis replied. “Everleigh is.” 

Corbin rested his hands on Everleigh’s shoulders as if staking a claim and stared at him. “She’s my priority too!”

“You’ll slow us down!”

“Wait just a damn minute.” Coyote stood and leaned over the table, his knuckles pressing into the surface. “I’m the one getting you across, so I decide who goes and who doesn’t. Got it?”

Armis straightened his posture and motioned between himself and Everleigh. “We made a deal with you, and our deal did not include him.”

“Well, as the one getting you across, I have the right to bend that deal,” Coyote snipped. “So I say he’s going.”

“No.” Armis pounded the table and hunched over it with his palms digging into the map. “From the moment he came into our lives, nothing good has happened. I will not endanger my sister anymore!”

“Armis,” Everleigh piped up. “I will not go without him. He is one of us now.”

There was silence.

Coyote smoothed his hair back with his palms and studied everyone. His icy grey eyes menacing as they shifted to each one of them, voicing his hierarchy. But Armis folded his arms and glared from Coyote to Corbin—his feet practically tutting the ground like a bull. Coyote shifted his weight from one foot to the other with a tight set of his jaw and raised a brow at him as if saying not to test his patience. Wanting the standoff to be over, Everleigh pivoted to Corbin’s side and weaved her hand through his—the message clear. 

Armis exhaled and said through his teeth, “Fine.”

“Good!” Coyote clapped. “Because we should prepare. Let’s start by seeing what y’all are made of, and then I’ll know what kinds of weapons to take with us.”

“We can handle anything you give us,” Armis replied.

“Yeah, well, I need to see it to believe it.”

“Is it that dangerous crossing border?” Everleigh asked.

“Yes. We’ll be going through the backdoor, so we need to prepare for anything—bears, military, hidden snipers, etc. It’s not as easy to get into Canada as it once was. In fact, you’d have better luck fleeing to Mexico where my friend Archibald could help you, but it’s too late for that since the government is on your tail.”