Chapter Eleven

Stars shimmered in the navy blue sky and as dinner plates cleared from the table, Corbin offered to pull a night shift for sniping duty. Domino, who had been silent during their meal, grunted his approval and excused himself for bed. Meanwhile, Sarah lingered around the kitchen cleaning up. The plan was to sneak over to Chuck's home once everyone had gone to bed, but her presence made it difficult.

"Would you like some company for sniping duty?" Armis asked.

"Sure, that would be great." Corbin's eyes drifted to Sarah, whose back faced them while washing dishes.

"I'm tired." Everleigh faked a yawn. "I'm going to bed."

"Stay with me," Sarah said over her shoulder. "I'd like some company too."

"Um..." Everleigh's eyes widened as she glanced between Corbin and Armis. They nodded at her to do it. "Sure, ok."

"Well, let's head to the tower!" Corbin said, with a screech of his chair against the floor as he stood.

"Don't stay up too late." Armis squeezed Everleigh's shoulder.

As they exited the home, they knew their plan was off to a terrible start.

∆∆∆

Wood logs snapping in the fireplace filled the quiet as both women sat across from each other in the living room. Steam rose from their teacups as the minutes passed until Sarah cleared her throat-starting a procession of chatting Everleigh's ear off. She tried her best to be polite by smiling and nodding as Sarah talked about Josephine and her daughters. However, her expression dropped when Sarah asked about her parents.

"Well..." She folded her legs under her bottom while sitting on the floor. "My mother died giving birth to me, so I don't know what she was like. All I have to go on is memories Armis shares with me. And our father died when our house burned down."

"Oh dear... Was it long ago?"

"Feels like it, but it was just a little over a year ago. We lived in our neighbors abandoned home for a while, but it never felt safe, so we kept moving-squatting in one abandoned home after another." Everleigh's voice drifted, her eyes settling on the teacup as if lost in a memory.

"I'm sorry." Sarah frowned. "I shouldn't have asked."

"It's ok. Armis and I rarely talk about it, but I know it's important to."

"Absolutely." Sarah nodded. "It's the way we keep our loved ones alive in our hearts." She set her cup down on the coffee table and extended her hands. "Come on. Come sit on the couch with me."

"Ok." Everleigh shrugged and made her way over.

As she sat down, Sarah shared part of the blanket with her by draping it over Everleigh's legs. It was warm from Sarah's body heat and soothing as she snuggled into it, letting the soft fleece encase her.

"Comfy?"

"Yes." Everleigh smiled and sipped more tea.

"Tell me, why are you still dressed? Don't you have pajamas?"

Everleigh looked down at her worn-out skinny jeans with leather patches on the knees. The cotton in her grey T-shirt had become so thin you could see her sports-bra through it.

"It's just easier to remain dressed when you're on the road. Never know when you have to run."

"I'm guessing you had to do a lot of that over the year."

"We were always on alert. Even though we avoided going into big cities, people are just as desperate out in the country. We had some run-ins."

"I see..." Sarah nodded with her elbow propped on the armrest and her folded knuckles under her chin. She took a slow sip of tea, then raised her brow. "So you and Corbin?"