Chapter Nineteen

Coyote steered the truck down a dusty road, but as it approached the town, he brought it to a stop. In the distance was a cluster of citizens, mostly men, huddled at a convenience store. The engine rattled as they sat there idling and Coyote drummed his thumbs on the steering wheel, debating whether to pull over. From the backseat, Armis and Gunner leaned forward while Domino sat in the front chewing his nails. 

“I don’t like the look of that mob.” Domino rubbed his chin. “We should find a way around.”

“No.” Coyote’s voice rumbled with hesitation. “One of us should go over there and figure out why they’re congregated like workers on strike.”

Gunner shook his head, “Domino’s right. Let’s go around.”

“I’ll go,” Armis spoke up. “None of those people know who I am, but if they find out what you did,” he directed at Domino. “They might kill you. Not that I’m opposed, but apparently we need you alive.”

“I tell you what.” Coyote gripped the wheel. “We’ll pull off the road where we can’t be seen, Armis and I will go talk to those people and if things get itchy, the two of you come to the rescue. Sound like a plan?”

“No.” Gunner shook his head. “If we’re going to talk to them then we should all go. Besides, it might be good if they see a familiar face.”

Domino kept chewing his nails, his gaze focused on the crowd, yet at the same time not quite looking at them. It was clear his thoughts were spinning, Armis took the moment to taunt him.

“What’s the matter? Scared they might already know what you did?”

Domino jerked his head around and snarled, “You shut your mouth.”

But Armis kept going. “How many of their daughters and sisters did you also sacrifice to keep your girls safe?” 

“I said shut up!” 

Domino swung his fist into the backseat but Armis dodged causing the blow to go into Gunner’s shoulder.

“What the HELL!” he growled.

That’s when Armis whipped his rolled-up cape like a jump-rope over Domino and pulled it backward so it fastened onto his neck. Pressing his knees against the backseat, Armis used it as momentum to pull the makeshift noose tighter against Domino’s throat. It happened so quickly that Gunner and Coyote took a moment to register what exactly Armis was doing. 

“Knock it off!” Gunner shouted, but Armis only pulled tighter.

“Let him go!” Coyote barked as Domino gasped for air, his face becoming redder.

“He needs to die,” Armis said through clenched teeth and squeezed harder.

However, Gunner and Coyote aimed their guns at him, and for a moment he called their bluff by pulling harder, but when Coyote cocked the hammer back, Armis finally released the cape. Free from the hold, Domin doubled forward, catching his breath. 

“You know I’m right,” Armis said, his narrowed gaze flicking from Gunner to Coyote. “And you’ll both regret this moment.”

“You can’t pull a stunt like that again,” Coyote warned, but Armis raised his chin defiantly.

“I stand by what I said.” 

“I swear, if you try that again, I won’t bother rescuing your sister. You’ll need to find your own way.”

“Sure, except you need me just as much as I need you.” Armis leaned forward, glaring. “You know I’m skilled. You know what I bring to the table, but I can’t say the same for this piece of sh--”