Chapter Ten

The shared fields of farmland between Domino and Josephine's property were ablaze with rich golden hues from the sunset. Insects hissed in the swaying grass as the widow bounced her baby girl on her hip while Domino worked on the storm door. Armis leaned against the porch railing, stealing glances at her as she chatted with Domino. She'd taken his breath away the moment he laid eyes on her. There was so much of her physical appearance that reminded him of Nina, his ex-girlfriend. From the strawberry blonde hair to the hazel eyes and a smattering of freckles across her nose.

"You've been traveling a long time," Josephine said.

"Yes, after our house burned down, we set our sights towards the coast and never looked back," Armis replied.

"I bet you've been able to see a lot of the country that way. You're lucky."

"Depends on what you consider lucky. We stuck to back-roads to avoid the cities, so we missed the scenic route. Besides, everything south of the states bordering Canada are full of dry land and dusty mountains."

"What about food and water?"

"We hunted most of it, but I made deer jerky just before we left home, so we nibbled on that when we couldn't find anything to kill. We ate lots of squirrels. Water was harder to come by after we ran out of our supply from home."

"Are you heading towards the coast after this? Because I should warn you, it's not a promised land. Far from it."

"We heard." Armis nodded. "I'm sorry about your sister."

Josephine stopped rocking her daughter, and a sweep of lament came over her face like a shadow. "She was so young..."

Armis stepped forward and placed his hand on her shoulder, looking her in the eyes, "I shouldn't have brought that up. I'm sorry."

"It's ok," Josephine replied and continued rocking her daughter. "I named Lillett after her. You know, to honor her so that in a way my sister still lives on."

"Yes, I know what you mean. My mother died giving birth to my sister. She's named after her."

"Is she like her?"

"A little. Our mother was white, so Everleigh has more of her coloring, but her personality is more like our father."

"Does that mean you look more like your father?"

"Physically, yes. He was a dark Hispanic man. Darker than me." Armis rubbed his naturally deeply-tanned arm and chuckled, "Everleigh looks pale in comparison. But I was told I take after our mother in the personality department, and I'm not sure how I feel about that."

"Why?" Josephine quirked a brow.

"Because my father is my hero, and in his absence, it's up to me to take care of Everleigh, but to do that, I need to be more like him. Ruthless. Willing to do whatever it takes."

"And your mother? What was she like?"

"Kind. Not afraid to express herself and always wanting to protect everyone."

"Ah, so that's where you take after her. Those are wonderful qualities, Armis. You shouldn't be ashamed."

"I'm not."