Chapter 9

"You were?"

He nodded pleasantly and asked, "Is that a bad thing?"

She shook her head realizing how rude she must have sounded and said, "No no of course not. I mean you're...just someone I admire."

He smiled his lovely smile and said, "You're not the only one, you know?"

"What do you mean?"

"I googled you too."

She pointed at the chair opposite him and asked, "May I?"

His eyes widened at that as he said, "Where are my manners? First, I stand you up. Then, I forget to introduce myself and lastly I don't let you sit. I'll probably slam the door in your face next."

She was about to sit down when she heard that and burst out laughing. He didn't seem the nervous sort but he oddly was in front of her.

She wouldn't really have known who Purab Roy was had it not been for Anand. He was an avid reader of all kinds of magazines. He would drag her to the supermarket during lunch time just to pick out all the latest tech, auto, lifestyle and business magazines. To quote him, "There's a lot of knowledge and diverse opinions in these magazines, Adi. You must read them all." He finally got Adi addicted to a travel magazine which carried wonderful articles on places she vowed to visit when she had more time. Time that was ever elusive. Her favourite part of this magazine were the photographs especially by one person.

Purab Roy.

She had cut out one or two of his photographs and tacked it up on her office pinboard in the hope that she'd move her behind one day and go to one of these places. Till then, she satisfied herself by looking at the pictures and sighing wistfully. Little did she know that one day she'd be sitting in front of the guy who captured those dreamy pictures looking rather dreamy himself.

He held the menu in front of her and said, "I'm glad to know my humour hasn't let you down yet."

She accepted the menu with a tilt of her head and a small smile. As she scanned the items, he asked her, "So why did you google me?"

She looked up from the menu and said a little shyly, "I...uh...like your work in your magazine. And I'm inquisitive by nature. Why did you google me though? I am definitely not part of any magazines. That I know of."

He surveyed her slowly and said, "I was wrong to do that."

She frowned at him and asked, "What do you mean?"

"I want to get to know you in person. Not through a google search."

She picked up the menu and hid her smile. The meal was exquisite. But the company was better. The conversation flowed easily as though they had known each other for years. He reminded her a lot of Anand. When the cheque arrived, he refused to let her pay her half and said, "I've made enough mistakes around you for today, thank you very much." She laughed and pulled her hand away.

As they walked out, he asked her, "So what plans for now?"

She looked at her watch and said, "I was thinking of making a quick visit to Rodeo Drive before attending the ball at midnight."

He shook his head in amusement and said, "What if I told you I could show you a place you've never seen in Mumbai?"

"I'd say you're delusional. I've lived here my whole life."

"Wanna bet?"

She smiled and said, "You're on! What are the odds?"

He put across, "Another date?"

She said, "Well that sounds like a win-win tome. Lead the way, my good man." 

Author's Note: One more chapter coming right up! A big shout-out to the supremely awesome Archi-G for designing the cover of this story. This chapter is for you, G! Thank you muchly! :D - S