Chapter 23

"So...Purab, what do you do for a living?"

They were all seated at the dining table and three people were sorely missing the presence of popcorn at this party despite having several other delicacies spread out. Their ears perked up the minute they heard this question. Kunal, Madhura's date was happily clueless about the whole scene. He had finally arrived a good hour later but was one of the most adorable men Aditi had ever met. He seemed like he liked Mads too and was generally a quiet, shy sort.

Only one person was dreading this meal. She raised her eyes from the food and eyed Adi who was pleasantly looking at Purab.

Purab smiled back at Adi and said, "I head the photography team for a travel magazine. Wanderlust. Have you heard of it?"

Adi nodded and said, "Of course. I read that magazine extensively when I was in college. In fact, the photos are the best part."

"Thank you. How about you? Aditi tells me you're from out of town?"

Adi's eyebrows shot up slightly as he said, "Ah yes. Aditi is right. I manage the marketing division for a software company back in the States."

"So you're in town on work?"

Adi nodded and cryptically replied, "Among other things."

Kajal pulled out her phone and typed a message. Vikramaditya's phone pinged and he glanced at the screen to read, "This is SO MUCH FUN!"

Vikramaditya suppressed a laugh and wrote, "Shush! I need to pay attention. Now focus."

Adi offered the bake to Purab and asked, "So how long have you been...seeing Aditi?"

Purab accepted the dish and said, "Oh just 2 weeks. You guys probably know each other forever, right?"

Adi leaned back and replied, "You'd think. I'm surprisingly in the same boat as you, brother."

Kajal typed hurriedly, "Okay, I'm honestly biting my tongue here to keep myself from laughing out loud."

Vikramaditya replied, "These messages are not helping, love. I am in the same boat as you!"

"ROFL!"

Purab went on to say, "You know it's odd. I've only managed to go out with her once. It's my own fault really. I stood her up on our first date and today is this delightful dinner party. I never seem to be able to spend as much time with her as I want to. Circumstances keep getting in the way."

Adi smirked ruefully and replied, "Been there."

Before Kajal could write out another message, Mads let out a muffled, nevertheless, very audible snort. All eyes turned to her and Kajal finally let out a big grin at Mads, happy that she was not the only one who could see the entertainment in the situation here.

Adi opened his mouth to ask another question when Aditi snapped and said, "Adi, let the man eat! He's here for dinner, after all."

Adi finally looked at her and let out a lazy smile. He said, "Aditi! How kind of you to point out his presence...at the table."

Purab shook his head slowly taking in the situation and said, "Madhura, this bake is scrumptious. As are all the other dishes. I'm so glad you invited me."

Mads smiled graciously and said, "The pleasure is all mine. I would have loved to take all the credit but my brother did more than half the work. Including that bake which just so happens to be Adi's favourite."

Purab shrewdly asked, "Which one?"

Mads laughed and replied, "Does it matter?"

Aditi looked heavenward and closed her eyes. Was everyone having fun here except her?