Whatcha Readin'?

There are two different kinds of book nerds. Those that love being asked what they are reading and those who don't. Or those who like unsolicited input on the book they are reading and those who hate it. 

This came to me today when I went to my eye doctor appointment. I stopped by a gas station on my way and a guy that worked there said, "Oh hey, I love that book. I would tell you how it ends, but I don't want to spoil it for you."

Me: "Oh, that's okay, I saw the movie. I know."

Him: "I loved the movie, it isn't completely the same though. There are some differences. You can still enjoy the books even though you saw the movie."

So we chatted a little more and then I had to leave so I wouldn't be late. See, things like this don't bother me. I actually love talking about my books with people who've read them. As long as they don't give me any spoilers and stuff. 

My eye doctor even asked me how my book was and said she loved the movie, and heard the book was good also. She wanted to read it. (By the way, we were talking about The Martian)

These are the types of people I can deal with. Then there are the other types of people, the ones who are there and asking just to be asking. They don't really care. 

Scene:

Person: Whatcha readin?

You: (smile brightly at being asked) Oh. It's this amazing book set in space. And the whole story is told through email, IMs, Private military documents, security footage summaries-

Person: Oh. Cool. Are there aliens?

You: No. It's actually about these people from the planet Karenza who are trying to escape with their lives after an attack-

Person: So there's no aliens.

You: No.

Person: Oh. I don't think I'd like it if it isn't about aliens.

You: So you like to read about aliens?

Person: No. I don't  like to read. It's not really my thing. I like alien movies though.

So you stare at them in annoyance and think about calling them a bunch of rude names or just walk away completely

So you stare at them in annoyance and think about calling them a bunch of rude names or just walk away completely. They've clearly already wasted too much of your time. Time that could have been used for reading. 

I can't even... I can't deal with these types of people. Don't interrupt my reading to ask me about a book you don't really care about. Believe me, there are people really like this in the world. It's one of my biggest bookish pet peeves! So rude. 

By the way, some of you ask what books I'm referring to in these uploads so I'll start listing them at the end of every update

By the way, some of you ask what books I'm referring to in these uploads so I'll start listing them at the end of every update. :) Books mentioned: The Martian by Andy Weir, Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

What kind of book nerd are you? How do you handle these situations?