Chapter 1

Grunting, I open my eyes to the soft white light slithering through my curtains.

My room is a calm beachy scene, peachy, glossy wood floor, with dots of furry white rugs.

My bed is simple wood painted with white. The covers are white to seafoam green with silhouettes of shells and hibiscus in a sand colour.

I slip out of my bed and find a cardigan to slip over my donut pyjamas.

Humming a simple lullaby, I braid my ebony brown hair, checking the time on my wristwatch made from scraps of sea pottery and sea glass.

I open my windows wide, letting the salty sea-air swirl into my bedroom, infusing the air with an, oh-so-lovely scent I grew to cherish.

I slowly open my birthday card from Ariela, my 13-year-old younger sister, who strictly had told me not to open it, until today.

It is really adorable, it is a beautiful watercolour of me and her sitting on a dock watching the sunset.

Little sparks of glitter dance down, landing on my horribly pale feet.

I decide a trip to the loft for hidden treasures. I find a child's pastel russian doll book holder- to stop books from falling, some old magazines and a dressy top for Ariela.

Sighing, I head out onto the beach. There I had lots of memories, napping in the inviting sun-rays, diving for oysters and prising them open to see if there were any pearls!

Hibiscus wafted through my nose as I sat next to a palm-tree.

I'm Maya, Maya Aura. I'm fifteen today, the unlucky, misfortunate soul to have a birthday on probably the most worst day of the year. Today is the day of the reaping.

I stand up tracing my feet on the cool rockpool, smiling as my feet tickles a crab.

Suddenly, a screeching sound peirces my ears. A coal-black hovercraft flies by, to send the escorts down to the reaping podium. I leap into some bushes and see peacekeepers standing alert, guns at the ready.

I nearly scoff at them, because this is our beach (not mine we share it with some other people) and it's not like we're going to assasinate...

Actually we might.

I run into my house, a sweet little beach cabin with dark wood, with a stroke of sea spray.

I slide open the glass door and find my mum cooking up a nice breakfast with our district loaf.

"Your outfit is upstairs." She tells me as she passes me the district loaf with battered oyster, chilli sauce and cheese, with a bottle of coconut milk.

I nod my thanks and nibble on the loaf and step in the shower.

Downstairs, I hear Maysilee my best and only friend call me to go to the reaping.

"Coming!" I yell and pour some conditioner over my head and try my new passion fruit salt scrub.

This is my fourth try to make some salt scrub and yet, my worst. It takes off a few layers of skin.

I use a dollop of my strawberry body butter, which, of course I over-use it in my haste to meet Maysilee and I look like a zombie.

Too soon for my taste, I jump out of the shower and slip on my reaping outift, a rippling lacy seafoam green dress top and a chiffon skirt.

I hear a knock as I buckle my belt. "Come in, you don't really have to knock." I say, getting a little frustrated with my belt.

Ariela walks in. "You look amazing." she smiles, "Well, anyway, mum wanted to me to see if you finished with the hairbands and clips. She's dressing Bay."