Chapter 6

The alarm rings at 5:00am I groan and fall out of cozy bed trying to switch it off.

My eyelids droop slowly and I think, Why wake this early the games start at 12pm? I yawned and fell asleep on the fuzzy carpet.

"FREAKING GET OUTTA YOU'RE ROOM NOW IT'S 10AM AND YOU ARE LEAVING IN ONE HOUR DO NOT TELL ME THAT YOU ARE SLEEPING STILL OR I WILL GET PRESIDENT SNOW TO SUE YOU AND-"

"Shut up!" I yell "I'll get up!" I crawl to the bathroom, practising my Hunger Games skills.

I take a long shower which sets Erza screeching, and gets the clock to 10:15. I slip in my Games gear: sea green top, a thermal hoodie with some deep blue accents, kakhi trousers and combat boots. Charming.

I stuff myself for breakfast with every option possible which also makes Erza purse her lips. Today she is wearing vivid gold and blue. Maybe she saw her own reflection in my  spoon- oh, I overdid my giesha lips!

After I finish scoffing and spraying crumbs and bits of food everywhere aka. Before I leave she quickly hugs me and whispers, "Sorry, I only wanted the best for you" 

"It's okay, I'm sorry too." I reply, and add inside my head, "About the giesha thingy."

Suddenly the loudspeaker boomed out (I am surprised if I don't have a large deafness in each of my ears, 2)

"PREPARE FOR LAUNCH OFF!!!"

Um OK...

I jump on hopefully agily, like a deer, doe o̶r̶ m̶o̶o̶s̶e̶, still practicing my Hunger Games skills.

And trying my hardest to ignore the stares from all the tributes, apart from Pecan who is hyperventilating doing circular movements with her shoulder blades.

Finally I get the last straw when someone looks at me through a window in another hovercraft, Mason, I think.

"You didn't see nothing." I hiss.

"Don't think you'll win the games hopping around like a squirrel. What is this? Drama camp?"

I turn beet red  and slam my window shut. And it was already. I think I've pulled a muscle.

I walk in another room where Helan is. At the dining table. I take a breath and drink lots and lots of water.

"Hi." I say hoarsely.

She turns, sharply, and I can see the subtle surprise in her eyes.

"Whats wrong?" I ask, concerned.

"Nothing... I-I thought y-you might want t-this. It um, made thorugh the check. Your tribute token.

I hold it and remember back on the goodbyes. A small fake potion bottle with real District 4 sand, not just craft sand. And besides the sand in 4 is like tiny sugar grains, in shape of stars.

Anyway, its filled with resin, seafoam blue (clear) resin with a few teeny shells at the bottom (conch, porcelleta, sand dollar and scallop). 

I hold the pale rosy gold chain and let it run through my fingers. Helan steps forward and I let her put it on me.

This emotional moment is ruined as I continue stuffing food in my mouth and drinking tons of water. So you'know, I'll get staying power.

 And I won't get too soon hungry in the arena.

Or thirsty.

Every second is painful, thinking of Ariela at home, hoping for the best.

My single mother and baby brother, wincing, brother wailing.

Thinking about them made my chest tight, so tight, I couldn't breathe.

I ponder what the arena would look like. I hope they have some trees. Water. Edible food. Grass. Then I could make it to halfway? I abruptly shake my head, as I promised I'll come home.

I really hope it won't be like the 2nd Quarter Quell (Sounds like a broomstick from Harry Potter, but it isn't its worse- not insulting Harry P by the way)

Suddenly my hovercraft stops and a lady comes dressed in Gamemaker lab uniform. 

"Keep still, I need to place the tracker, stiller, the better, and less painful." She says looking at her marble clipboard.

As soon as places it in, my whole arm- fingertips to shoulderblades- goes numb. I shake it furiously, but no luck.

"5 minutes until The Hunger Games!! Isn't everyone excited?!!" says our gamemaker Seneca Crane.

"Erm no." I mutter.

5 minutes pass too quickly and I'm saying my final goodbyes to Helan, she's kind of like my best friend here. Reminds me of October.

"1 minute left!" Seneca calls.

Im all ready in my jacket and everything when I turn to face my pedestal when,

"Im your sister October." a voice that is vaugely familiar whispers.

"WhAt! HoW?" I gasp and spin around. 

"You're Helan." I say.

"I'm October!" She pleaded.

"I survived, I died but lived with the miracle herbs Hayley gave me, I ran off in 10- can't believe they didn't spot me, and was raised up there, wanted to meet one of you so I worked as a stylist for 4, hoping to see you somewhere, you know stylists have a luxury life-"

"Why didn't you visit us?! We needed you! Why-"

And I'm pulled onto the pedestal the glass seperating October from me. I realised I shouldn't have yelled at her, bombarded her with questions. but actually hug her, say that I loved her.

Instead I can never say sorry.

Must have been tough for her to subtly glimpse us, visit us. I get tearful as the pedestal slowly rises.

Tears sting my eyes as I am lifted into the arena.

I need to make my time here count.

For October.