Chapter 2

"What do you think you're doing?" Your voice was calm and hushed, and Luke's lips lingered over yours for just another second.

"Trying to understand you," Luke whispered back, slowly leaning back to look at you better.

"Well, did it work?" It was only a second before your eyebrow lifted up and that smirk was back on your lips.

Luke only shook his head slightly, as he stepped further aback, watching you put on the vulgar demeanour once again. "How can you already have someone?" His words came out just above a whisper, his eyebrows knitting together.

You simply rolled your eyes at Luke, his questions getting way too repetitive for your liking. You scoffed, "Oh please, you fucked tens of girls from the office. And you dare to yell at me for finding myself a new life partner? Besides, that's not the point –"

"That's the whole fucking point!" He interrupted you with a shout, but this time it didn't seem as unexpected. "That is the whole point," he said softer, as he walked up closer to you. "You can't just fucking get married again after 10 months of not speaking to me. To your legal and rightful husband! It's been almost a year and – " Luke gritted, the veins on his neck becoming more prominent once again.

"Exactly!" Now it was your turn to interrupt him, to raise your voice and to make Luke jerk back away slightly. "Exactly, Luke. This is not marriage anymore. We haven't spoken to each other for almost a year –"

"Not by fucking choice!" He roared again. His tie swinging to the sides on his chest, as he rushed closer to you. "You bailed on me. You ran away from this marriage."

"I did not bail –"

"Yes, you did! This was never what I wanted; it's all on you. You're a fucking coward, you got scared and you fucking left –" Luke took a second to calm himself down slightly, relaxing his fists that were curled up by his sides. "You fucking left. So you do not get to come here on Christmas fucking Eve and tell me I have to sign some stupid papers to let you get married to someone else. You hear me?"

"Yes, Luke, I hear –"

"I'm not finished!" He silenced you immediately. "I will not sign those fucking papers, I will not divorce you. You can go back to your stupid fiancée wherever in the world you fucking live right now, but that's all you'll ever be with him. I will not allow you to get married. Not while you still belong with me."

For the first time that night, Luke left you speechless. No smirk on your face, no cocked eyebrow, no cockiness.

For the first time that night, you believed Luke does not want to divorce you.

This was never an option you thought possible. Yes, you ran away without giving him a single explanation. Yes, you changed your phone number and you moved to a completely different country. Yes, you did not even try to speak to him ever since. So surely, no one in their right mind would want to stay with you after all the pain you caused them. Right?

Luke's chest was heaving and you watched his fiery eyes stare at you.

"Don't you want me to be happy?" You tried to bring back that scornful grin, but Luke's bitter laugh brushed it right off.

"You and your games," he shook his head in frustration, running a hand through his hair again. "Can you be real for once?" He asked with a scornful smile, bringing his hands to place on his hips.

You didn't show it – you never did – but his words cut so much deeper than he had suspected. Being 'fake' was never something you enjoyed doing or something you intended to become once you got married. Unfortunately, it was none other than Luke's fault for bringing that spiteful side out of you. How could you not be fake, when your husband was fucking a different woman every week and you couldn't speak up about it? How could you not be fake, when you were sleeping with your husband's long time best friend and business partner? How could you not be fake, when your friends would openly flirt with your husband right in front of you? And you thought it was only Luke to blame.