Chapter 15

You don't remember falling asleep and you definitely don't remember Luke's arms wrap around you, but that's how you woke up, hot from his body's close proximity.

You didn't wait to tell him good morning, gone long before Luke as much as stirred in the bed.

He didn't call the next day and you didn't either. Both of you busy with your respective matters for the following week, cleaning up the mess that was left in the wake of Liz's resignation.

It didn't surprise you when she appointed Luke's father to take her place on the board. After all, you knew she couldn't fully let go of the company and it's better to have your foot in the door than be stuck behind it.

You knew Andrew was much warmer when it came to you and you didn't find it threatening at all when merely a week later he called you up for a business lunch.

"Is this a peace offering?" You greeted him with a smile, sitting down only after sharing a warm hug.

"I would never put us in a situation that would require us to make peace in the first place," he admitted, giving you a warm smile.

And even though you and him had never directly had a falling out, he still felt he had to apologize for his wife. "She can sometimes be too quick to judge, especially when things do not go the way she had planned. I am sorry she tooks it out on you."

"I wish I could say I understand, but I it's too early for that. I am still trying to get my life back on track," you admitted, to which Andrew simply smiled, raising his hands in surrender.

"Of course, I understand. All good things come to those who wait."

Much like Luke, Andrew had already picked a wine for this lunch before you even sat down at the table. And in that moment, you much appreciated this habit of his, picking up a glass and gulping some wine down your dry throat.

Once the business talk was exhausted and the warm food was brought to your plates, you heard Andrew sigh deeply.

"It's interesting, you know," he spoke casually, "Luke mentioned you two had divorced." Hearing him mention the divorce, you slowed your movements. "And as I was working my way through everything I needed to catch up on, a copy of your divorce papers never came up. So I couldn't help but wonder... Did it get lost in the post or was there never was a copy in the first place?"

Silently, you stared at him. Andrew slowly lifted his head, a small smile playing on his lips. Deep inside, he already knew the answer and you knew that he did.

So you simply watched as he joyfully chewed his food with a growing grin, making you involuntarily chuckle with a shake of your head.

You sipped your wine, unsure how to even begin. "Yeah, uh... The thing about that is--"

"That you're not divorced," he concluded for you, watching you with a gleeful glint in his eye. "What's stopping you? I know you have the papers, Luke told me. How come you haven't given them in?"

You blinked slowly, heat rising to your neck. You hated people catching on to you and you hated this even more because you didn't know why the papers still lay locked in a drawer of your bedside table. "I, well... I don't actually know," you admitted, lifting your eyes to meet Andrew's understanding ones.

He placed his fork down, extending a hand to gently cup yours over the table. "Darling, I know this is none of my business, but you need to make a decision. Sooner or later Luke will notice your divorce isn't getting settled and he'll have questions, especially now that I had reminded him of it. You'll want to have your answers prepared for when that day comes."