Chapter 14

The next morning you woke up to the smell of pancakes reaching your bedroom straight from the kitchen.

The fun truth and dare game ended pretty quickly last night with both of you choosing to discuss something more lively instead. Soon after, Luke felt too sleepy to continue with the night anyway, so you forced him into bed and spent good ten minutes explaining why you and him sleeping in the same bed would not be a good idea.

"Feeling much better, I see?" You commented lightly, coming into the kitchen with a thin bathrobe tightened around your waist that barely came to the mid-thigh.

Luke spun around with a frying pan in hand, "As you said - a couple beers, a good night's sleep and I'm all good. Plus, I don't really get sick anyways."

The gentle smile on Luke's face made a strange warm feeling spread in your chest. The sight was way too familiar for your liking and it almost made you sad, remembering the countless amount of mornings you had woken up to a smiling shirtless Luke cooking you breakfast.

"And they say alcohol isn't good for your health," you joked, sitting down on a stool, allowing Luke to drop a few pancakes in a plate in front of you.

"So I've been thinking," Luke ignored your comment, seating himself across from you and pouring a generous amount of maple syrup on his stack on pancakes, "what we should do with my mother."

"Sue her back," you spoke without thinking twice, stuffing a bite into your mouth.

Luke froze in his seat, his eyes shooting up to your face in surprise. "Sue her?" He repeated, as if to double-check if he heard right.

"Yeah," shrugging, you met his intense gaze, "I'm not letting her get off easily. She's been pulling strings on me for the better part of my life and I am not about to let her get away with it. And now I have you on my side, which makes it--"

"But I'm not really on your side," Luke quickly intercepted, shutting you right up.

You blinked in silent response, unable to formulate words. What Luke said has quite literally knocked the breath out of your lungs and you no longer could think, speak, or move.

Luke noticed confusion flood your eyes. "I'm not on her side either," he rushed to reassure you, "I'm on nobody's side. I can't pick sides in this. I understand you want to take what's rightfully yours, but suing my mother isn't a way to go."

The sound of your fork hitting a plate startled Luke and he almost jumped in his seat, but not before you stood from yours.

"I have to go," you spoke quickly, rushing out of the kitchen and storming upstairs to change and pick up your things.

How stupid of you it was to think Luke was doing this out of selfless reasons. How crazy of you to assume he meant what he'd said last night.

"Wait, Y/N. This just came out wrong-" noticing the sudden change in your demeanour, Luke immediately followed you to the upstairs bedroom, "I can still help you. We can work to get her off the board and avoid the court altogether. I just think it's pointless to make this worse--"

"Pointless?" You turned around to face him, forcing him to almost skid to a stop. "You think me getting sued by your company, getting stripped away from my job and my money, being forced to move to another country, leaving behind my entire life and a man I loved, is insignificant enough to not get revenge for?"

"Loved?"

"What?"

"Loved. You said a man you loved... you don't--"

You groaned. "I can't fucking believe that that is the part you're focusing on. I should've known you were doing this because you're a selfish coward. It's so obvious now." You turned away from him, quickly pulling up your jeans. "You were doing this to make me stand down and let your mother win, I can't believe I allowed myself to be fooled by you. You truly are her flesh and bone, Luke Hemmings." You zipped up your hoodie and tried to walk out of the room, but Luke stopped you by grabbing your arm.