Chapter 5

- 7 minutes earlier -

You walked the long hallway of Luke's huge office space, situated on the prestigious top floor of one of the tallest business centre buildings in Sydney. You glided down the hall and past the people, your energy immediately captivating the whole room. One by one, everyone slowly stopped working as the sound of your heels clicking echoed in the space, lifting their heads to stare at you with open mouths – you walked tall and proud, exactly the same as everyone remembered you.

You couldn't hold back a smirk that formed on your lips, as a hushed murmur waved through the office. Some people audibly gasped in surprise at seeing you back in the workplace, as they silently recollected the rumours they had heard about your sudden departure in the spring and you could barely hold back from glaring at them. You could only imagine the sorts of things that were being said about you in the office space, especially when the whole Hemmings family were nearly worshipped in this company for their generosity and good-heartedness. A 'bitch' was probably one of the least insulting synonyms for your name.

Just as you were about to stretch your hand out and push the glass door open to Luke's private office room, an unknown face popped up into your vision, the girl's body nearly bumping into you. "Excuse me," she chuckled awkwardly, however clearly not amused. "Who are you?"

You took a step back, slightly appalled at the manners of this young woman, whom you could only assume had barely even graduated from university, when she was hired (if even that). It didn't surprise you, though. Luke liked them young, or, as he would constantly argue trying to vindicate himself, "young minds keep the business strong and fresh."

You eyed the girl up and down, noticing her pushed up breasts nearly bulging out of the V shaped neckline of her fitted shirt and a tight leather skirt that was hugging her curves nicely. And of course, her skin-tight clothes made perfect sense – Luke's desk was positioned in a way that made her desk outside his office constantly visible through the glass doors, thus making her always visible to him.

You could barely hold a mocking smirk back, remembering his other secretaries that would dress in the exact same way for him. You stood just a little taller in front of her, regaining control of the room. "You must be new here."

"I'm not. The question is – are you? Otherwise, you would know that Mr Hemmings does not see people without an appointment. And, as his personal secretary, I know for a fact that he does not have any today. Certainly nothing with a woman," the girl spoke proudly. She clearly felt superior working for (and most likely sleeping with) one of the richest CEO's in the world – let alone Australia. You completely understood that, but her innocence still made you scoff quietly, and you could almost feel the whole office hush down in silence, awaiting for your reply.

"Oh, trust me. He will want to see me," you said, stepping aside to go around the girl without giving her a second glance, but her face was back right in front of you in no time.

She let out a humourless chuckle. "I don't think so, lady. You will just have to wait here and allow me to check with Mr Hemmings. If not, I'm afraid I'll have to call security to take you out of here and remind you once again that you should always make an appointment," the girl spoke condescendingly, a small smirk tugging on her lips. If it were your first time dealing with a naïve 20-something bimbo, you would definitely feel yourself getting worked up right about now. Unfortunately (both for you and for them), it wasn't your first time and the whole situation simply humoured you.

So you smiled at the girl, letting out a short breath as you cocked your head slightly to a side. "Well, then I'm afraid I'll have to fire you."

The woman let out an obnoxious scoff, her eyes bulging out in shoch. "What— Who the hell do you think you are barging in here and, and— and requesting to see Mr Hemmings and threatening me, and—?" The girl's panic quickly ran her out of breath, as you regained your tall posture in front of her with a smirk on your stained red lips.