How Much Parallel is Too Much?

Parallels between your story and the original can be good, especially if you're writing a Second Generation Fanfic (like me). However, there's a line in how much is enough, and how much just makes a carbon copy of the original series, and it's a line you have to listen to if you want a good story. There have been many times I've crossed it, and caught it. It normally means I have to change something major (or something I'd had my heart set on including), but I'd rather do that than be accused of not having creativity.

So, how do you know where to draw that line? Sometimes, it's quite obvious. You shouldn't make your dear character become Seeker first year without trying out, and then have them fall off their broom third year because of dementors, then have them get a Firebolt. You shouldn't have them live under the stairs with awful muggles, until a letter comes that the father muggle promptly destroys, followed by exactly what happened in the book, except they go to a place deep in the woods instead of an island. You shouldn't make them have to skip seventh year hunting Horcruxes because Voldemort is after them and they're the next Chosen One.

So, if you can't copy what happened in the story, how do your parallels? Well, your parallels should be more thematic than materialistic. Make two characters close to your MC fight (about something completely different than Ron and Hermione did), and give your MC the same sense of confusion and slight annoyance with them as Harry had when Hermione and Ron stopped talking. Make your MC feel the same sense of "home" at Hogwarts that she's never felt before, just liked Harry had. Take the emotions that the books brought, and try to think of ways you can emulate those with a different situation.

Now, this is not to say that you can't have anything like the books at all. Your character can be a Seeker if it's so important. Your character can have a hated Potionsmaster. You could even hold a Triwizard Competition at Hogwarts if you wanted, though I wouldn't put your character in it unless they're of age... And even then...

So, the point is that to have a good fanfic, it's probably best to emulate emotions and themes rather than actual situations. It's okay to reuse some things, small things, but don't go overboard. Often, if you have gone a little too far, your readers will be the ones who notice. Take their thoughts into account! If they say something is too close to the books, they're probably right! Honestly, we authors are sometimes too close to our storylines to notice things like that. And it's sometimes hard to change something like that, especially if it changes your plot, or you had your heart set on it. But I can promise you, in the end, it will all be for the best. Your story will only profit from a bit of extra creativity from you.

~~~~

Hope that was coherent! It's really early in the morning right now, but I just had to get this written down, because I knew I'd forget this entire idea. Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to ask!