OCs Part 2: Inserts in the Story

So, your OC isn't Mary Sue anymore. She's got faults beyond sassiness and low self esteem, and she's quite normal. Now what?

Well, if you thought that was all you needed, and your character can now successfully journey through the books at the side of the Golden Trio...

You were wrong.

If all you want to do with your character is make a Golden Quintet, or perhaps even replace a canon character (normally Hermione), just go ahead and scrape all of your notes off your desk and throw them into Moaning Myrtle's toilet. I'm serious. I'm sorry if this is harsh, but I have never found a story like this that has much merit. Luckily for you, if you've written one like this, I'm here to help!

"What's so wrong with stories like this?" you may be asking. Well, they give us absolutely nothing new, for one thing. We already know what will happen, so there's no tension in reading. Honestly, that's why I like to write about the Next Generation; since we know exactly nothing about them, I'm free to make it up as I will. But in stories like this, where the OC is simply following along the books with Harry (normally as Harry's twin, or Ron's, or Hermione's, but not always), we already know what happens. We don't feel any tension at all when Alyssa (yes, that's what you named her when you realized she couldn't be Mary Sue) and Harry end up in the Chamber of Secrets fighting a basilisk. Even when the basilisk fang poisons Alyssa instead of Harry, we don't really care that much. There may be some readers who are actually hoping Fawkes gets a little tied up and can't save her in time.

Another reason that these stories aren't great is that it really just annoys readers. When Alyssa is the Chosen One instead of Harry (assuming they're twins), it annoys people. When Alyssa is placed in the Triwizard Tournament instead of Harry, it annoys people. When Alyssa defeats Voldemort instead of Harry, it annoys people. Why? Because we've seen this all before. And, no offense, but Rowling did it better with Harry the first time than the author did with Alyssa. Most of us, whether we'll admit it or not, love Harry, or at least can relate to him. We don't like seeing him pushed to the side. Obviously, in a fanfic about an OC, she'll be the main character of your fanfic. However, that doesn't mean she needs to replace Harry. Give her her own plot, don't let her steal someone else's!

And there we have an integral problem. Many authors seem to think that the plot of the main books is the only plot. However, that's just not true. Think of it as the lives of real people. You would never say that one person's plot is more important than another's. The thing is, in the plot of your life, you are the main character, and your plot is unique to you. So, it should be that way for your character as well!

How do you do that? Well, you can start by making Alyssa about as good friends with the Golden Trio as Dean, Seamus, Neville, Parvati, and Lavender were. A smaller character in the books, but still a huge part. Did Dean help Harry defeat Voldemort-Quirrell? Did Parvati go with him to the graveyard? Of course not. But does that mean they didn't have interesting stories of their own? Of course not. And Alyssa can have interesting stories unique to her, as well.

You see, the thing you need to get good at is weaving. Weaving Alyssa's story into the flow. Make sure it lines up with Harry's from the original if that's what you're going for. And if you want it to be original and still do that, you'll have to take about two or three steps away from the Golden Trio. Or more, if Alyssa isn't a Gryffindor. Then, give her a plot related to what's going on with the Golden Trio, but not what is going on with the Golden Trio. Say she's a Hufflepuff in the second book. When Finch-Fletchley is petrified, make her the most outspoken about how Harry is the Heir of Slytherin. She can even come up with ways to catch him in the act. Or say she's a Ravenclaw in the DA. Make her close friends with Cho and Marietta, and you'll automatically be putting distance between your plots, because you're seeing Marietta's side as well.

Honestly, there's about a million ways to go about giving Alyssa her own story. It's up to you to discover how your Alyssa will do, and if you take some time to be creative and original, I know you'll do great!

~~~~

If you'd like a spectacular example of how to pull this all off, I'd check out the Elysia Series by AndSheWrites. It's really good (or maybe that's just nostalgia making it seem better... Nah) and I loved it, and I suggest you go check it out! You'll definitely find me in the comments; I left my mark all over that book!

Anything that I missed in this chapter, let me know! Do you have any ideas about his topic that I didn't address? Tell me in the comments! See you next time!