A Gathering

The year went by quickly. Katie, John, and Caroline were growing every day. Jack and Jackie had mended their relationship. Although they were always busy, the time seemed to fly by until the Kennedy family was sitting around at the compound in August of 1963. Jackie sat next to Irene while Irene held one-year old Katie on her lap. "How are you feeling, Mom?" Irene asked as Jackie placed a hand on her growing stomach.
"Tired. Jack's so happy though. I don't think either of us have been this happy in a long time."
"This little one is such a blessing after everything that's happened."
"I know."
"Rene!" Rose called.
Irene stood up and held Katie on her hip. "Coming!"
Irene went into the house to see Joe sitting in his wheelchair smiling at her, "Why hello there!"
    She then read what was written on his chalkboard, "Sorry, I was struggling getting dressed."
    "It's alright, Pops," she said hugging him.
    "There's someone that would like to meet you," Tom said carrying in Irene's and Tom's new baby, Josephine Kennedy O'Hara named after Joe. She had been born on the Fourth of July and this was the first time Joe was meeting her.
    He scribbled something on his chalkboard and held it up, "She's beautiful. Thank you for naming her after me."
    Irene went over to Joe's side as Tom placed Josie in Joe''s arms.
    Rose walked over to look at Josie, "She looks just like Kathleen."
    Joe nodded as he look down upon Josie. After a few minutes, Irene picked her up and sat down on the couch across from Joe.
    "Mama!" Katie cried out sitting next to Irene.
    "Yes, my love?"
    "Play?"
    "I'll play with you, sweetie," Tom said picking her up and taking her outside with the rest of the family. A moment later Tom ran inside carrying Katie, "Irene, they're taking Jackie to the hospital."