Hold Me

Irene burst into tears as Jack quietly said, "No!" over and over again.
"Dad, what am I going to do?"
"Well, first you're going to come here so I can hug you."
Irene sat on the edge of Jack's bed and for a little while. They didn't let go of each other. When Jack finally went to break the hug, Irene grabbed him and quietly whispered, "Hold me, Daddy."
Jack felt tears falling on his shoulder and neck. Clint looked in the room, "Mr.President, there's a phone call at the nurses' station It's Mrs. Kennedy."
"I'll go," Irene said sucking in her breath and standing up from the bed.
She walked down to the nurses' station and took the phone handed to her by the petite blonde nurse. "Mom!"
"Irene, what the hell is happening down there?"
Irene felt tears coming to her eyes as she looked down at the ruined pink suit, "Dad's alright."
"Thank, God!"
"Tom died about an hour ago."
"Oh, Irene. I'm so very sorry. I love you, kiddo."
"I love you too."
Clint then came up beside her, "We need to get your dad the hell out of this damned city."
"Is the plane ready?"
"Yes. Let's get him and leave."
Irene went into Jack's room where he sat struggling with a t-shirt they had given him. "Can I help you?"
He nodded and she helped him pull he shirt on. Then she adjusted the sling to relieve the weight of his arm from his wounded shoulder. "Let's get out of here."
As Clint walked them out of the room, Irene turned to him, "Clint," she said biting her lip as tears came to her eyes, "Is my Tom on board?"
"Yes. He's taken care of."
On the flight home, Irene was quiet. The whole plane was quiet for that matter. When the plane touched down, Irene and Jack exited the plane holding hands. Bobby met them as they descended the stairs, "Irene, how are you holding up?"
      She shook her head.
     Jack squeezed her hand and they made their way to the car. Once they were inside, Bobby handed Irene a dress to slip on, "It won't do for Caroline, John, Katie, and Josie to see you like that."
      "Thank you, Uncle Bobby."
      Irene quickly maneuvered into her dress and then slipped off the pieces of the suit.
     When they arrived at the White House, Jackie held Irene for a few moment, "I'm so sorry. I love you. You'll always have us," Jackie repeated multiple times to over.
     "Hold me, Mommy," Irene whispered beginning to cry.