III. Awkward

*Aure's POV*

They decided to land on Tatooine to repair the hyperdrive or buy a new one. After the decision, I approached the two Jedi and said "I want to thank you for saving the Queen and helping us to leave Naboo."

"You're welcome. You were great help for us too," the older one said smiling.

I looked at Obi-Wan and he was looking at me with curious eyes. "Aren't you too young to be the captain of the Queen's guard?" Kenobi asked.

"I've been fighting since I was a child. I am the youngest person and the first woman to join Naboo's army. I saved the ambassador's life once. Maybe that's why I became captain so young," I answered determined with a slight smirk playing on my lips.

He didn't say anything, he just looked down embarrassed. Qui-Gon laughed at his apprentice's reaction and rested a hand on his shoulder. "Don't underestimate her, Obi-Wan, you've seen her fighting already."

~~~~~~~

We finally arrived to Tatooine. Qui-Gon left the ship with Jar Jar and the droid who saved us, whose name I heard was R2D2.

Padmé came to me dressed as a handmaid and, when she made sure that we were completely alone, she whispered "I need to go with them. I want to make sure everything is fine."

"You could be in trouble. The Republic's laws do not exist here, this place is dangerous for you," I warned her, trying to protect her.

"I'm not asking you for permission, I'm telling you, as your Queen, that I'm leaving with them, miss Sinder," she said coldly. I hated it when she used the 'I am the Queen so you must obey' argument; I even hated it more when she didn't call me by my first name.

"At least let me go with you," I pleaded after a sigh, giving up.

Padmé shook her head. "The Queen's guard must stay with the Queen. If you came with me, they would suspect something."

I sighed and nodded, still convinced that it wasn't a good idea. I knew there was no point in arguing with her, she was just as stubborn as me, probably even more.

Getting out of the ship, we saw Qui-Gon in the distance. He was not too far away yet.

"Hey!" I shouted and he stopped and turned around. Padmé and I walked to him. The burning suns of Tatooine warmed my skin almost uncomfortably. When we were close enough to the Jedi master, I said "The Queen wants her servant to go with you. She wants to send someone trustworthy to give her as much information about the planet as possible."

At first, the master seemed to hesitate and I thought for a second that he wouldn't believe my lie. I had never been too good at lying, I hadn't needed to use that skill. I preferred fists rather than words. Eyeing Padmé suspiciously, he eventually agreed and my friend left with him.

I returned to the ship, quite angry and worried about my friend, to find Obi-Wan slightly smiling. "Hello there," he greeted.

"Hello," I said, walking past the man without even looking at him. Once I was in the empty main room of the ship, I sat down on one of the couches. Covering my face with my hands, I finally let out an exasperated groan that I had been holding in since Padmé insisted on leaving.

I hadn't noticed that the young Jedi apprentice had followed me until I moved my hands and so him standing right in front of me. "Any problem, captain?" He smirked as he pronounced the word captain.

I let out a small smile at his remark and shook my head. "I just have a bad feeling about this, I don't like this planet. Not one bit. A planet that isn't part of the Republic must be dangerous."

"I also felt like that when my master and I started this mission, but he didn't sense anything dangerous," he said as he sat down next to me, leaving some decent distance between us.

"I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who is worried about all this mess," I said smiling and I looked at him. He smiled back.

"I am sure that both your Queen and my master are equally worried, but they are leaders, they must keep calm for us." The words left his mouth with a soft reassuring voice; somehow, it worked to help me calm down a little.

"I must be a bad leader, then. I can't stay calm in situations like this," I said with a light chuckle, trying to hide the seriousness behind my words.

Obi-Wan shook his head. "You seem like a good leader to me. When did you join the army?"

"I was fourteen when I left my small town and joined the training program in Theed, the capital city. At age seventeen, I was ready to join the army." My expression saddened as I thought about my family. "It was hard, leaving my parents. I barely see them since then."

"Do you miss them?"

"Of course I do! Don't you miss your family?"

"I..." He looked down at his own hands, trying to find his words. "I don't know them, really. I've being training and living in the Jedi Temple all my life. The Jedi Order found me when I was a baby. The only thing I know is that my home planet is Stewjon and my surname is Kenobi."

I opened my mouth in surprise; I felt so stupid for bringing up our families. I couldn't see my parents as much as I wanted to, but I couldn't imagine what it would feel like not having a family at all. "Do you ever wonder who they are? How they are? What they look like?"

He stayed silent for a second. "Sometimes, yes," he finally answered with a soft voice.

"Have you ever thought about visiting Stewjon and finding them? Meeting them?"

"I have... And I shouldn't. As a Jedi, attachment is forbidden, it's part of the Code." His explanation made me frown in confusion.

"No attachment? Not even to your own family?" His reply was a shake of his head. "That's terrible!"

"I have my master, he's like family to me."

"I can't imagine what it feels like not having someone waiting for you at home."

He didn't reply; no words, no nodding of his head. Nothing. After an awkward silence that seemed to be longer than it actually was he asked "Do you have anyone else waiting for you, besides your parents? Like sibblings or... A boyfriend?"

What?!

"Hmm..." was everything I could say. I really wasn't expecting that and, judging by his own shocked expression, even he was surprised that he had asked that question.

"I'm sorry," he apologized quickly, immediately standig up. "I don't know why I asked that. It's none of my business." He looked down embarrassed. He looked so cute, I admit, with that blushing creeping up from his neck to his cheeks.

He turned around and was about to leave the room when I quietly said "I don't."

He looked at me, confused, with a slight frown between his eyebrows. "What?"

I laughed. "I don't have a boyfriend. I've dated some men, but none was right for me." I think he wanted to say something more, probably apologize one more time, but I stood up and spoke again. "I'm going to check on the Queen's maids, see if they need anything."

I left the room, struggling to restrain the smile that threatened to form on my face upon feeling Obi-Wan's eyes following me as I walked away. He certainly was something else, but I had to focus on more important things, like Padmé arriving to Coruscant in one piece.