IX. You Do Like Him!

*Aure's POV*

I walked to Palpatine's quarters some time after the Queen. They were having a meeting there and I was asked to go find her by the time they were finished, to accompany the Queen to her own room. When I reached the room, I saw little Ani and Jar Jar kneeling down in front of the door, their ears were pressed on it to hear what was happening inside. I stood next to them, arms folded across my chest, with an expression of disappointment on my face. I coughed to earn their attention, as they hadn't noticed my presence. They finally looked up at me and I could see they were surprised. Anakin quickly stood up and looked at me with innocent eyes. Cute, but not cute enough.

​"Eavesdropping isn't a nice thing to do​​​​​," I told them resting my hands on my hips. "Specially when they're talking about politics in the room."

​"We're sorr​​​​​y, Miss Sinder. We were just curious, but we didn't hear anything, I swear! I promise we won't do it again," Anakin replied with a guilty voice with his gaze fixed on his feet.

I knelt in front of him, he looked back at me. I smiled softly and so did he. He was so adorable, I couldn't be mad at him. "Apologies accepted. And please, call me just Aure." I stood up again and continued "Now leave and take Jar Jar with you before he does something stupid. It surprises me that he hasn't broken anything yet." Anakin giggled at this, grab Jar Jar's by his arm and they both left running.

I smiled at the child and knocked on the room's door; someone from inside told me to come in. When I entered the room, Senator Palpatine was pacing while talking to the Queen, two of her handmaidens were beside her, one of them was Padmé.

"The Republic is not what it once was," Palpatine said, as he kept on criticizing the Senate and its members. He proposed pushing the election of a new Supreme Chancellor, considering that Chancellor Valorum was not a good one. I rolled my eyes at this; Supreme Chancellor Valorum had always been our strongest supporter. I would have said something about this, but who would care about a soldier's opinion on politics? "I'd say we're going to have to accept the Federation control for the time being," Palpatine added.

Of course, the Queen refused to give in her planet. I understood Palpatine was trying to convince her to push the election, making her think it was their only choice. I just hoped Senator Palpatine wouldn't be elected, something about him was suspicious. I didn't trust him a bit.

~~~~~~~

Some hours later, I was guarding the Queen's room in the Senate's building, standing by her door, when I saw Anakin coming.

"May I help you, Ani?" I asked him nicely.

"I'm... I'm looking for the handmaiden, Padmé," he answered nervously.

"I'm sorry, Ani. Padmé is not here now." I lied. Padmé was actually in her room, but she was wearing her Queen's clothes. She was getting ready for her meeting with the Senate, and the boy couldn't know her real identity.

"Who is it?" the real Queen asked from the inside. I opened the door slightly, just enough for me to talk to her.

"Anakin Skywalker. He wants to see Padmé, Your Highness," I replied while and looked at Ani apologetically.

The Queen moved forward and opened the door fully. She looked at Anakin, who bowed and looked down, then took a peek at her. She was wearing one of those big uncomfortable dresses, and her hair was styled in a complicated way; also, her face was covered with Naboo's traditional make up, so it was impossible to recognize her. Even I could have doubted that this was actually Padmé, and I had known her for years.