Chapter 9

May 26. Today was the day. Riley was leaving, Farkle was staying.

Farkle lay on his bed, hands behind his head. He sighed loudly. He didn't want to say goodbye. He knew it would hurt to have her leave. He didn't want to try long-distance, but there was no way he would break up with her. 

It would crush her. He knew that. 

He stumbled into the bathroom like a zombie and ran his hands through his hair. He had let it grow out, and it was crazy. But Riley loved it that way. Another reason to cut it when she left. He couldn't deal with knowing she would have loved how he looked. It still hurt that he had to let her go. 

Farkle brushed his teeth, changed into a new shirt, threw on some cargo shorts, and ran over to Riley's room. He knocked once before the door opened to show Riley, suitcases surrounding her, and clothes in folded piles around the bags. 

She smiled at him, then let him inside, sitting down beside her suitcases and starting to pack again. Riley threw another pink t-shirt pile into the small space, then sighed. Farkle saw a tear fall and looked at her, sadness clouding his blue-grey eyes. It stung to see her like this, and it was his fault. 

His fault he wasn't going back to New York, where his mom had moved. His fault that he had made her think that long-distance would work. His fault that she blamed herself every day for his sister's death. His fault that she was leaving.

"Riles, it's - it's gonna be okay." His voice cracked, and he could already feel the hot tears forming. He blinked them back, and looked over to see Riley staring right at him. He held out his arms, and she jumped into them, squeezing him tight. He smelled her flowery sweet scent for almost the last time, basking in her warmth and happiness.

"Farkle - I'm gonna miss you. So much." She started sobbing, and Farkle rubbed her back consolingly. She just held on tighter, kissing his neck and crying, the tears dripping onto his jacket. Finally, she was exhausted of tears, couldn't cry anymore. She tucked her head in the crook of his neck, and Farkle felt her relax as she felt asleep. 

He lay her on the couch, then started packing the rest of her stuff. In went the t-shirt he had bought her for their one year anniversary, and the Star Wars t-shirt she got from him for Christmas. Then a sweatshirt and t-shirt of his that he had let her keep. Every piece of clothing let memories pour back in his mind, memories that hurt. Riley stirred a few times, but he just kept going.

After about a half hour, she woke up, to everything packed. She smiled a little, then remembered what day it was and her face turned into a frown, directed at Farkle. He automatically knew what was wrong, and lifted her up, bridal style, to kiss her.

"Farkle, I don't want to leave." He caressed her in his arms, and she sobbed against his shoulder. "I love you."

"I love you too, Riles." She curled into his chest, and he just wrapped his arms tighter around her, kissing the top of her head.

Soon enough, he drifted off too. It was almost noon, but Farkle didn't care. He wanted to stay with Riley, for as long as possible. She woke up, looked in his eyes, and cried again. He just enjoyed the moment that he was left to have with his little Riles. 

Then Riley glanced at the time. "Farkle, I missed my flight!" He just grinned to himself. He knew, he knew she would sleep. He wanted her to stay, knew she wouldn't, but wanted to try and keep her.

"I'm sorry, Riles, I couldn't let you go. Not yet. I love you too much." She slapped him, but not too hard.

"Farkle, I'm supposed to be going home to my family. I can't believe you did this to me. At least I planned a later flight, since I knew I might miss my other one. Goodbye Farkle, I'm leaving." He kissed her one last time.

"I'm not going to break up with you, but I can't....I'll miss you." She hugged him, not wanting to let go, grabbed her bags, and walked out into the pouring rain, leaving Farkle in the nearly bare room. He just grimaced sadly at the door, watching as his girlfriend walked out on him.

He ran after her, begging her to stay as she got onto the city bus. But she shook her head, her tears obscuring her beautiful and soft facial traits. Farkle dragged his way home, his tears that were streaming down his face blending in with all of the warm raindrops that decorated his features. He slowly walked back inside, back to loneliness. 

Riley had changed him, and now she was gone.

The lovely Tutor that had turned his life around was going back to New York, while Farkle stayed in miserable, wet Seattle. 

He had to do something.

But what?

WELL

SO

I KNOW YOU'RE ALL GONNA HATE ME

I'M SORRY, OKAY? 

BUT IT NEEDED TO HAPPEN

I'LL MAKE IT UP TO YOU

BYE FOR NOW LOVES

Alli<3