Chapter 9

After going to the Map Room with Minho, I head up to the gym and start preparing for tomorrow. I fix everything and I'm completely bored but a voice fills the room which brightens my heart. "You alright, love?" "Yeah just...I don't know I feel weird..." "Why is that? Is it because of me?" "No no no of course not I mean *sigh* George loves me." There was an awkward silence at the moment and I sit down on my bed. Newt stands in front of me, thinking. "Do you like him back?" I look up at him quickly, confused he would asked something like that. "Newt no of course not. I feel guilty, I had no idea he had feelings." "What if you did knew? Would you be with him instead of me?" "Newt stop! That's not the point!" "Everyone in the Glade knew about it even me. His moves were more obvious than mine." "I found him crying, he was angry. I broke his heart without even knowing it. I made him feel like shit." Newt sat down next to me. "Look, why don't I talk to him? Man to man." He wraps his arm around me and pulls me close. "I don't like seeing you that way for a stupid little thing like that." He kisses the top of my head and I say, "Okay. Thank you babe." I kiss his cheek and he stands up and drags me outside. "Imma go find him. In the meantime, go with the Medjacks for some tea to calm yourself, alright love?" I nod and walk away. It's still the afternoon and the Doors are about to close soon. I go with Clint and Jeff and drink some tea. I go to the top of the Viewing Tower and wait until the Doors close. I start hearing the creaking sound it makes slowly. Then I notice someone walking towards it. I keep watch not knowing what might happen next. Then all of a sudden they run. I get off the tower and start running and I notice some of the Gladers running to. The Doors start to close and I yell, "HEY! STOP! WAIT!"  They slowly come to a stop turn around....it's George.

"Marty, I'm sorry. I can't." "George! Stay away from the Maze," Alby says. He walks back and turns and continues running and enters the Maze. Minho runs pass me but I grab his arm and pull him down to the ground. The Doors close. "What the hell?! Did that shank just committed suicide??" Frypan says. I nod slowly. Someone grabs my hand and tears start to form knowing George is gone and he's going to die, because of me. The boys start to leave but I'm frozen. "Love, let's go." Newt drags me along. We all eat dinner in a silence. I hear the distant screams of the Grievers, thinking what are they doing to George right now. Blood and gore fill up my head, losing my appetite. "I;m not hungry," I tell Newt who was talking to Minho and Alby. I get up and leave quickly. I head to the gym and close the doors. And I just tear up. I'm sobbing...it feels terrible. But I'm stronger than this I know it. Even though it's my fault. I take a shower and I hear the doors to the gym open and close. I change and leave my damp hair down. I see Newt lying down on the bed, writing something. I walk and lie down next to him, wrapping my legs around his and looking at the paper. "What is that?" "The stars, how they're aligned. See, if you connect these they made a shape. For example this one, the dots are the brightest stars and if you look really closely, it looks like--" "A Pegasus."  "Yup. Exactly." "Wow...didn't know you noticed stuff like that.

didn't know you noticed stuff like that

"Of course I do. Because if I didn't, well I wouldn't notice how truly stunning you are." I laugh and he puts the paper and pencil down. He grabs my face and kisses me. Slowly but passionately. He leans back and pulls my body closer to his. I rub my foot against his leg and I want to ask him something but...oh well. "Why do you have a limp?"  I feel him get tense and I feel like I just made a mistake. "Well you know how every month a Greenie comes up. Well Alby was first, I was second, Minho third, Gally fourth, Frypan fifth, Winston sixth, then came in groups of 5 for 6 months. When the first group came up, I felt confused. I mean we had no memories of who we are except for our name. Making order was difficult and started a lot of problems espcially with Minho and Gally as we all wanted Alby to be leader as he was alone for a month. I mean come on now he knows better than any of us. Anyways as we all started getting into our leadership, I was a Runner. I didn't want Minho to run alone. As we found out what was going on, I hated it. I hated the Glade. We were stuck here without a reason probably for our entire lives. So I made a decision one morning to die. I ran individually and climb on top of a small wall of the maze and jumped off. Next thing I know, I was on a bed with the Medjacks, Alby, and Minho. I had to tell them why I did it. and they told me about my broken leg. Unfortunately I couldn't be a Runner no more. I couldn't run. After I healed, I stayed with the limp." I nod slowly feeling bad for him. There was an awkward silence but he breaks it saying, "Go to sleep love, you need it." After that I fall asleep.

I wake up super early, it's still dark outside. Newt's still here and asleep so I sneak out. I change quietly and quickly and head to the front of the Doors. I wait a while, which seems like forever. A pair of hands startle me as they pick me up. "He's not coming back, Mars. He's dead." "I know but, you never know." "Those Grievers must of ate him the first minute they saw him." "Don't say it like that Minho, just makes me feels worse." "Why?" "Because it's my fault he killed himself." He shakes his head and says, "Mars it's not your fault. It's your heart, your choice. You weren't going to choose him in the first place." I stay quiet going over that. "You running?" I shrug and sit back down as the Doors start to open slowly. "Let me get you something to eat." I nod and he leaves. I stay there for a while and I know he's right, George's dead. I turn around and start walking away slowly. Suddenly someone covers my mouth and elbows my ribs. I groan and they forcefully turn me around to face them. My eyes go wide, it's George.