Chapter 1

"We have confirmed that the terrorist has been captured. This is a joyous day not only for the country of Kitan, but also for the world. In two days time there will be a public hanging in the capital, and will be viewed in every home."

She sat on her couch, listening to the horrifying message on the radio. She didn't cry. She couldn't cry. She'd prepared herself for this to happen. She'd prepared herself for this day to come. But it was too soon. He would soon be gone, and they had barely done anything.

"For those affected by the terrorist, this day will truly be one to aveng-" The voice clicked off and she broke from her trance.

Looking up, she saw Louis, with his slowly aging face twisted with anger and sadness. "We should stop listening to this," he said softly. "We're already going to have to go see."

"Why'd you do that?" She asked as if she didn't hear him. "I was listening to that. Turn it back on."

"Cla-"

"Turn it back on!" She shouted, standing up. It offended her that she couldn't hear what was happening. She could hear what was happening to him. "I need to know what they're doing to him!" Louis just stood there, not saying anything in particular, just standing and letting her vent to him. "I need to know what they're doing to him. They could kill him! And I wouldn't know what they were doing!"

"Hush. The Listeners will hear you."

"I don't care!" She shrieked. "They already took him from me. They might as well take my life along with his." Not knowing what else to do, Louis pulled her into his arms, and held her tightly, just like how he did when they were younger.

She screamed and wailed into his chest, letting tears of pain spill from her eyes. Like a child, she gripping the back of his shirt to make sure he wouldn't leave. There's no helping this world, she thought. They just weren't ready.

20 years earlier

She was excited for her new job as a Conceptionist. She believed that she had the most important job in her country. No the world. She would be in charge of creating new life. She would be the one that would decide whether the new embryo would be fit to live in society. The one who could create and destroy life.

The nineteen year old had been assigned the job no more than three months earlier during the Calling, and had been jumping out of her skin ever since. From that day to this, she had gotten a flat not too far from her parents' home, and her own television. She'd never had her own, and was excited to watch the Mr. Bradley's twenty-three hundred broadcast by herself.

She also had to read up on her new job as a Conceptionist in a folder of rules and regulations given to her during the Calling. Thinking back on that day, she remembered the hundreds of people clapping and cheering for her as she was assigned to her new career.

They were always told not to boast, not to make themselves stand out, but on that day, she could help but turn to the crowd and wave at every single person while waving her freshly made badge and folder over her head.

Of course both her parents and the Committee of Elders chastised her later, but in her mind, it was worth it.

She eagerly bounced into the conception lab, her freshly washed lab coat hugging her body and dark framed glasses placed firmly on her nose. Not many people wore glasses, but the ones who did were deemed "lesser than" or "not as fit" as the rest of society, and were often excused from many sight related things.

That's why it was such a surprise when the career that required the most watchful eye was given to someone with glasses. But she didn't care. Not one bit. She was glad to prove herself worthy of the job.