Chapter 9

The two watched Kai pull on his coat and run put of the door, the walkie talkie Louis gave him in his hand. The door slammed, making Clara jump and whimper away. But at least he was gone. She felt a huge cloud of fear and anxiety clear from her mind as she looked at Louis.

They stared at each other, wanting to hold each other, but not sure how. They felt like awkward teenagers, who knew what they wanted to do but not sure how to do it. That's how she felt at least.

Louis cleared his throat, breaking the silence in the room. "So I have to leave," he said nonchalantly.

"You just got here. Why would you want to leave?"

"No, that's not what I meant. I mean...I mean I'm leaving Kitan." Her breath hitched as he grabbed her hand. "Clara, don't be mad at me. Whatever you heard from anybody is a lie. I didn't do anything to Bradley. It was all a stunt by the fucker himself."

"What?" Clara screeched. "Are you saying that Bradley hurt himself? So you have to leave? Louis, I don't get what you're saying, but I know you had nothing to do with Bradley getting hurt by that terrorist. If there even is one. Is there?"

He didn't answer her. All he did was squeeze her hand tighter and look away. This wasn't good. At all. Normally, whatever Louis had to say, he came right out and said it. Except for that time when he was having dificulty explaining to Clara what Kai did to Aadila. Other than that one time, Louis just said whatever came to his mind.

Yet today, after two days of absolutely no word from him, he's having trouble speaking. Clara rested her free hand on his cheek, and lightly moved his head to face hers. Then she could see it, or at least part of it.

His eyes said it all. He was scared.

"What's going on Lou?" She whispered nervously. She'd never seen Louis like this before. He was never scared of anything. She'd bet anything on the fact that he was being very sarcastic when he got arrested. Louis never got scared.

"Louis, love. Please tell me what's bothering you."

Louis looked out of the window at nothing in particular, then back at Clara. "I have to go for a while," he whispered. "And I don't think I'm coming back anytime soon."

Silence.

That's what filled the room. No, the whole flat. There wasn't a peep, even from the neighbors who were probably listening harder than the actual Listeners.

All Clara could do was stare at him. For so long, she'd been annoyed by his straight forward answers and now, she was begging for one.

"What does that mean?" She asked after some time.

"I've been framed."

She waited for him to continue, however he never did. He just looked at her as if she was supposed to understand exactly what he said. And she didn't.

Finaly, after some time, she threw her arms up in annoyance and shouted, "For what Louis? Just say it already and stop building up so much tension."

He sighed loudly. "I was framed for being in the same 'terroist group' as the guy who attacked Bradley. And in order to keep everyone I love alive and the whole world safe, I have to runaway from this place."

"Is that the short answer?" He nodded. "Can you give me the whole explination please?"

He took a deep breath and let it out. "I guess I'll start with the...um... attack on Bradley."

"That sounds like a good place to start."

He nodded and sat down on the floor, bringing her down with him.