Chapter 10

"You're going on vacation?" Louis nodded slowly, trying his best to put a smile on his face. "But why? Can I come? Where are you going?"

"Kai I can't tell you where I'm going, and you can't come with me-"

"You're not telling me something, Lou. I-I can feel it. It doesn't feel right in here. So what is it?"

Kai had forgotten everything that happened just hours before. When asked, Kai said that he didn't remember any shadows or different languages. He said he didn't remember anything other than walking into the flat with Eloise.

Louis looked back at Clara, who had the same shocked expression he did. They both knew Kai could instantly know if something wasn't right. They knew that much. But they were both hanging on to the hope that he would just accept that Louis was going on a vacation and leave it alone.

But he was too smart for that.

Louis turned back to the red faced boy. "Kai, I told you-"

"Don't lie to me!" Kai screeched. Tears were starting to bubble around the rims of his eyes as he tried to hold them in. "I-I heard you and mom talking. I know what's going on, Lou. You're leaving me!"

"No Kai-"

"Don't do that! You can't leave me here with her."

Trying to keep a level of sanity within the child, Louis talked as calmly as he could. He bent down and put both hands on his shoulders, hopefully calming him down. "Don't talk about your mother like that, Kai."

"She's not even my mother! She doesn't even like me!"

"Don't say that."

"She hates me! You can't leave me here with her, Louis. She won't treat me right."

"Kai..."

"You're the only person who understands me Lou. You're the only one who likes me. You can't leave. You can't leave."

"If you heard what your mother and I were talking about, then you should know why I have to go. It's to keep everyone safe, okay? It's to keep you safe. I know your mother hasn't been the best to you, but she promised she'd do better. You may not know it, but she really loves you. Kai? Kai look at me. You have to be strong for me okay?"

"I'm only eight."

"And you're stronger than I was at your age."

"That's only because I'm different."

"No. It's because you have a good heart. You're a good boy Kai, keep it that way. Don't let these other people put thoughts in your head. Don't let them make you think I'm a bad person. Follow what your mother does. Read the stuff your mother reads. Stay friends with Eloise. She's a good girl too."

"What if people put bad thoughts in my head?"

"You know right from wrong. You know that feeling you get around Watchmen? That's your body telling you that they aren't good. You'll know when you are around bad people."

"Louis?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you be my dad? Can I call you my dad?"

Both Clara and Louis inwardly sighed out of relief. They both knew that if that whole fiasco were to happen again, they wouldn't have had the courage that Eloise had. They wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

So Louis hugged the boy and whispered, "There's nothing more I'd like than that."

"Dad? I love you."

"Love you too son."