Chapter 11

Kai was laying on his bed, hands folded behind his head as he stared at the white ceiling in front of him. His mother was lightly snoring in the room next to his, unaware of the slight insomnia that was going on with her son.

He didn't want to move, fearing he would wake his mother from the sleep he knew she needed. So he stayed there, unmoving and restless trying to force himself to sleep.

Kai lied when he told Louis that he didn't remember any of what happened months ago. He told him that he only remembered hearing their conversation and nothing else. That was a lie. He knew what he did. What he was capable of doing to them.

He knew how he hurt Eloise, and how she saved all of them. He was happy she did that. He was happy she was there with him. He was happy she was his friend.

A smile spread across his face as he remembered the first time they met.

It was a warm day in April, and Kai just turned seven years old a month before. He was walking by himself in the park. Throwing rocks as far as he could, looking at the birds flying around him, and playing with the fish in the pond.

No one was in the park because it was the working hours of the day. The only reason he was out was because he didn't want to go to school that day. So, being alone in the park like that was nothing less than peaceful.

So walking around with a stick in hand, the boy hummed to himself with a tune he'd heard when he was younger.

"Who goes there!" A voice shouted from behind some bushes. "Answer to the great god of leaves or you shall be beheaded by my branches!"

Kai looked curiously into the bush, only to see a whisp of blonde hair and a sparkle of bue eyes from behind. "Hi," he said cautiously. At this point, Kai would've taken off in fear of talking to someone other than Louis or Aadila. But this was different. This felt different. This person, whoever she was, felt...normal. Like the people who Kai lived with. His mother, Louis, Aadila. This person felt like how they did. She felt safe.

Stepping closer, he introduced himself. "I'm Kai Thompson. Who are you?"

The girl grunted and shook her head from behind the bush. "I told you I'm the god of leaves!"

"No you're not. You're only a little girl."

"I'm not little! Anyway, aren't you supposed to be at school?"

Kai zipped to the bushes and was immediately in front of the girl. She screamed and fell back onto the ground. "You should be in school too."

"How did you do that?"

"Do what?"

"How did you get here so fast? You were over there a second ago, and then you just magically appeared right here. How'd you do that? Are you magic?"

Kai shook his head and stepped closer into the bushes. She backed away a little, but then stopped, staring at him curiously. "I'm just different. That's all. What's your name?"

"Eloise Smith. Can you teach me how to do that?"

Kai shook his head again. "Only I can do it."

"Oh," Eloise said, clearly disappointed. "Can you show me what else you can do?"

"Okay. But you have to promise not to be scared like my mom. Promise?"

Kai stuck his hand out, and she grabbed it, a lot firmer than he expected. She smirked and nodded. "Promise."

Eloise had been his first and only friend to date. He knew that it was mainly his fault that he didn't have a lot of friends. All of the girls seemed to like him, they all said that he was a good person to be around.