*Chapter 2: Discusision

Chapter 2:

Discussion

He breathed her scent in deep as he continued to nuzzle his face carefully against her neck, the sound of her heart beat growing more frantic the closer his lips got to her skin. She was terrified of him like every other human who’d had the misfortune of crossing his path. But unlike the others he had no desire to suck the life from her frail frame. Was she unaware of the affect she had on his kind? Did she not know she brought the humanity out of monsters that had once been long forgotten?

            “Y-You’re t-the…” she stuttered unable to finish her sentence, her voice fading barely above a whisper as she tried to keep herself from shaking in his arms.

            “Vampire?” he offered, his face moving from her neck to her ebony locks. She nodded in answer, not trusting her voice would be steady enough to answer him. “Perhaps we should go elsewhere to continue this discussion?” he heard her heart beat increase, if that were even possible. It was obvious she didn’t like the idea of leaving anywhere with him, something he found himself grimacing about. For a quick moment he tapped into her mind, bringing up an image of her tiny apartment, and used it to teleport them up to her quaint little abode. The second the black smoke had cleared away from them, he released his hold on Evangeline and allowed her to put as much space between them as she felt was fit, though it made no difference. With his incredible speed it didn’t matter how much distance there was between them, he would reach her before she could blink.

            “Why’re you here?” she asked, her breathing coming in steady again though her heart still pounded loudly against her chest. “And how are you able to come into my apartment without being invited?”

            “When one is as old as I those sort of limitations no longer apply,” Bertrand answered simply as he walked over to her kitchenette and took a seat at her small table.

            “Y-You’re an elder?” she asked surprising him with her knowledge.

            “Yes I am,” he confirmed with a smirk upon his face. “I see I was correct when I assumed you knew about my kind.”

            She pushed a lock of hair behind her ear. “My parents hunted “your kind” when they were alive. That sort of information is common knowledge to me.”

            “I suppose it was one of “my kind” that ended their lives?” he asked feeling a twinge of guilt when she nodded and sadness glistened in her brown eyes. “And why you fear me?”

            “I’d be an idiot if I didn’t,” she answered simply, the sadness pushed away as she eyed him carefully. “I’ve heard all about what young vampires are capable of. The fact you’re an elder just makes you that more dangerous.”

            “You’re very smart,” he complimented his smirk falling as his bright blue eyes locked with her brown ones. “But I can assure you, Evangeline, you have nothing to fear from me. I would never harm you.”

            Her eyes bore into his, thick brows creasing as they did so. “I don’t believe you.”

            “I didn’t expect you to,” he answered truthfully with a shrug. “However you must ask yourself, since you know so much about my kind, why are you still alive? You must know we vampires don’t take too kindly to humans who know of our existence, I’ve killed multiple humans before for just catching sight of my fangs. With that said why are you still alive, Evangeline?”

            Those brown eyes looked down to the floor as she thought over everything he’d said. A smile formed on his face as he stared at her. It was amusing watching her innocent face crinkle in deep thought, amusement he didn’t feel when torturing an insolent fledgling or slaughtering one of his incompetent servants. It felt light, bubbly if he dare say so, and to his surprise he liked the feeling a great deal. After a few more long moments of silent contemplation she raised her eyes back to him.