*Chapter 14: Blank

Chapter 14:

Blank

Evangeline shot up in bed her breath coming in shallow gulps as she tried to shake away the lingering darkness. Her eyes slowly adjusted and took in the dark bedroom confused as she tried to remember what had happened to her. The bed she sat upon was large, large enough for four people to sleep upon comfortably for an entire night. She ran her hands over the silk sheets hoping the texture would help jog her memory but nothing came. Her eyes went to the window where she had a grand view of the snow covered gardens below illuminated in the light of the moon.

"Where am I?"

"You're home," she gasped and turned towards the voice, her body going rigid when she saw a man standing there.

No, this wasn't a man. He was something else, something sinister and dark she could feel it. His icy blue eyes scanned over her as she straightened in the bed slowly moving from her body to her long black hair and then finally meeting her wide fearful brown eyes. He smiled the expression soft and adoring, a sharp contrast to the monster that she somehow knew was lurking beneath that handsome face. Suddenly it all played out before her. She heard a crash. Left the safety of her warm house, walked out into the snow in nothing but a thin nightgown, saw a creature the likes of which would haunt her dreams for the coming years...

"Bertrand," Evangeline gasped her eyes wide as she recognized the man before her as that creature. He released a relieved sigh and nodded, his eyes filled with relief as he made his way to the bed to sit beside her. "How did I get here? Where exactly is here?"

"What's the last thing you remember Angel?" He asked, cupping her cheeks in his hands as he watched her expression carefully to gauge her reaction. Her brows knitted in confusion wondering why he was watching her so closely.

"The night we met..." she began her eyes locked with his, refusing to look away. "There was snow and so much blood."

"You don't remember anything after that?" he asked his voice sounding relieved, why would he be relieved she didn't remember anything? She shook her head in answer. "Your memories have been tampered with Angel."

She didn't know how to react to that. "What?"

"You were kidnapped by some very bad people," he explained as one of his hand moved to push a strand of hair from her face. "They had you imprisoned for quite some time and twisted your mind so much it was everything I could do to undo the damage they'd done." He sighed in relief again resting his forehead against hers. Her heart skipped a beat at the familiar action. They'd done this before...no. She saw another face resting against hers, one with green eyes...

"How long have I been asleep?" She asked shaking away the face from her mind causing Bertrand to move back, his gaze careful as he watched her every action.

"I've had you asleep for a week in order to undo the damage those two have done," he explained as a smirk spread across his pale face. "Don't worry Angel, no one will take you from me ever again. I've made sure of that."

For some reason her hand went to her neck. She recalled pain, an excruciating burning sensation flowing through every inch of her body as something imbedded in her neck and a liquid was forced down her throat. Bertrand was taken aback when she knocked his hands from her face and made a mad dash for the bathroom, stumbling like a newborn deer as she did so. She flipped the light switch and turned to the mirror above the sink her eyes locking on her neck. Her stomach dropped.