Chapter 13

-Chapter 13-

I could feel it go down

You left the sweetest taste in my mouth

You're a silver lining the clouds

Oh and I

I wonder what it’s all about

The Hardest Part, Coldplay

His brain was in a delay—overloaded with the rush of emotions and everything else that came to him in a heartbeat. His body paralyzed, as if under a spell that broke his ability to react. Every part of him refused to obey his will. Like if someone had snapped their fingers and Eric lost connection with his moving parts.

His eyes were directed somewhere. Where his friend had been a second ago, now there was blackness. Then black spots. Then blur. Somewhere in the back of his mind, a desperate voice commanded him to move. In frantic screams it urged him: Get moving and do something! But he remained at the foot of the bed—static. When reason caught up with his sense of sight—after a long moment of suspension in a state of mental chaos—he didn't have to think. He turned around in a snap to go and find help, and bumped with the chest of the white-robed statue of a man that stood on his way.

For a brief second Eric's eyes seized the man's blue. His brows pinched, and he looked into the man's slightly wide-eyed stare that emitted only one emotion: fear. Who are you? He pushed the man off his way, with a huge unspoken question on his face. You're a doctor. Why aren't you doing anything? He didn't stop to ask and waste precious time. He just ran through the aisle of the cold emergency room, screaming for help to whomever was there to listen.

“Please, let there be someone available.” His plea came in a whisper. Other than shouting to get the medical staff to notice him when it was needed, his voice caught in his throat and he couldn't raise it to normal levels.

Help came in the form of another white-robed doctor and two nurses. Eric followed close behind them, pushing them mentally to walk faster. Come on come on. Kaiden was still in active seizure when they got to him. The doctor took control, shooting instructions to the nurses in a tone that should have reassured Eric; should have made him feel like they would fix everything. Yet Eric didn't find relief. Please, God, this can't be something serious. Don't let this be something serious. His faith wavered with every excruciating passing second. He didn't have to be a doctor to understand that the fit was getting more and more intense.

“Ativan, four miligrams, now! Why the hell isn't he on an I.V.? Hold him still!”

Kaiden's bruised face twisted to the point where it didn't look like Kaiden anymore. His hands crooked and stiff. His breath huffed and difficult. The stabbing fear that assaulted Eric punched the air out of his lungs. He dragged air back in and stuttered. “T-There's blood, d-doctor. There's...blood.” His voice shook with the rest of his body. Eric pointed a trembling finger to Kaiden's face. A thick band of blood flowed from Kaiden's mouth and smeared across his cheek, when his face slapped the white bed sheets with with movements he couldn't control.

The doctor looked where Eric pointed, but didn't say a thing. He turned Kaiden on his left side and looked at his watch while the nurses did as he said. One of them prepared the I.V. The other made sure Kaiden's face didn't bury in the mattress, and potentially suffocate himself with his inability to pull away to get air.

I promise I won't harass you. You don't have to dance with me either.” Eric's face tightened in a grimace of sorrow and he turned his back to the crew and to his friend.