Chapter 29

Adam neared Kaiden and grabbed the counter on either side of him. He relished in the heat from his nude torso and in the softness of his black hair on his face. The aroma of coffee drifted around them. "Mmm." His nose touched the young man's neck and he inhaled deeply, wiggling his face as his hands shifted to Kaiden's hips to keep him in place.

The butter knife clanged on the counter as Kaiden squirmed and laughed—and cursed. He tried to pull away, pressing ear to shoulder to stop Adam from tickling him. Adam turned him around and savored the sound of Kaiden's laugh. He loved this feeling of normalcy—this feeling of freedom that eluded him for most of his life.

"Good morning, beautiful." He kept saying that. The young man had the looks and carried himself in ways that stopped Adam's heart at times, but this moment right here, with the look of fondness under a veil of hesitation in charming hazel eyes—the beauty of all of him kicked Adam's heart back to life.

Kaiden wrapped his arms around Adam's neck. He reached up on tiptoes and took Adam's lips with tenderness. Adam intertwined his fingers with arms wrapped around Kaiden's back. The young man's face glowed with satisfaction as he whispered on Adam's lips. "Good morning yourself." His voice carried a rasp that betrayed dishonorable intentions that reflected Adam's own.

"Are you making me breakfast?"

Kaiden stuck raspberry jam fingers in Adam's mouth. "It's just coffee and toast." The young man winked and turned back to spread cream cheese and jam on the remaining bagel halves. The tang of berries endured as Adam poured coffee over cream and sugar into two mugs. He took glances of the young man at work while Kaiden continued on his task with a smile that showed he noticed Adam's attention. He leaned elbows on the counter, pretending concentration as he pushed his butt out, shifting his weight from one leg to the other.

Adam sucked through his teeth. "Just coffee and toast is way too simplistic." He nodded and wiggled his brows at Kaiden's black lace briefs. "Consider what I'm thinking of right now."

Kaiden turned his face and swayed his ass in response.

The temptation to bend him over the counter and count the ways he could make him come before eight o'clock shot to the top in his list of priorities. He chose chivalry, for now, to show Kaiden that he meant more than sex to Adam. So he sat on the stool and stayed put while he did all of it in his mind, ogling at Kaiden's firm, sexy backside.

He cleared his throat. "What are your plans for today?"

"I need to work on the photoshoot. The magazine gave me until tomorrow to turn it in. That'll take most of my time today. I also promised my sister I'd help her choose flower arrangements for the wedding at two." He turned around and brought the plates to the island, pushing one in front of Adam. "You?"

Adam took a bite. "Mmm. This is good."

"It's just toast." He waved Adam off with a smile.

"Well, I like it when you make them practically naked." Kaiden acted as if his own food interested him more than Adam's flirtations. Only the bite on his lower lip gave him away. Adam continued. "I'll be at the hospital until six thirty or seven." He avoided commenting on the wedding. He didn't want to prompt an invitation to be Kaiden's date. "How early do you need to start work? I don't have to be at the hospital until ten. You want to stay, watch a movie...make out?"

Kaiden leaned forward with elbows on the counter. "I'd love to." But he didn't sound as excited as Adam thought he would be."

They ate in silence for a few minutes before he felt Kaiden's eyes on him. He seemed to assess Adam. Kaiden made to say something but stopped and drank from his cup instead.